Chapter 14: Benefactor

Silence filled the car. Chu Yu shrunk into a corner, not daring to speak. Zhuang Qing was focused solely on driving, seemingly not intending to speak at all.

Zhuang Qing stopped the car at a red light and suddenly spoke, "Mr Fu's cultivation is profound, have you ever considered a change of career?"

Fu Li nodded. "When I finish self-studying and obtain a university degree, I'll become a civil servant."

Zhuang Qing didn't understand why this yaoguai who had lived for several thousands of years had suddenly appeared in the human world and was even working as a security guard. As for the other party saying that he wanted to become a civil servant, he didn't believe it.

"Benefactor, your cultivation is so high, why would you want to be a civil servant?" Chu Yu said in a low voice. "Our management bureau recruits once every five years. Our recruitment period just so happens to be this year, why don't you participate in our bureau's appraisal? The treatment here isn't bad and the material benefits are good. The country will even allocate you an apartment after ten years."

"Are the people working at your place considered civil servants?" Fu Li asked.

"We're considered, considered... civil servants in the cultivation world. We also belong to government administration," Chu Yu felt that it was too much of a waste for someone as powerful as his benefactor to be a security guard at a hotel. Therefore, he made a supreme effort to persuade him to job-hop. "Not only will you need to conceal your abilities within the human civil system, maintaining your form will also drain magic power. But in our cultivation world management bureau, it's no problem if we stay in our original forms as long as the doors to the office are closed. I'm just not very sure how large benefactor's original form is? If it's too big, that office of ours may not be large enough for you."

Noticing that Fu Li's expression was a little odd, Chu Yu realized that he had gone slightly overboard with his words. Talking about someone else's original form in front of a yao cultivator was the human equivalent of discussing somebody's three measurements – it was considered discourteous behavior. He hurriedly said, "Benefactor, this younger generation made an indiscreet remark."

"It's okay," Fu Li shook his head. "My original form is very ordinary."

Chu Yu laughed dryly, feeling too ashamed to continue talking. The atmosphere in the car became awkward again.

The windshield wiper swiped lightly at the rainwater on the windshield. Zhuang Qing glanced at the oil gauge and continued to drive expressionlessly. By the time he found Fu Li's dilapidated rental house, the expression on Zhuang Qing's face was very cold. "We're here."

"Thank you, cultivator Zhuang," Fu Li recalled that his umbrella had already turned into ash together with the taxi and could only pluck a strand of hair, turning it into an umbrella. Opening the umbrella, he blocked the rainwater falling from above.

"Benefactor," Chu Yu stuffed a few pieces of paper into Fu Li's hands. "This is our recruitment application form, you must come!"

"If I work at your bureau, will I get any extra credit when attempting to become a civil servant?" In order to become a civil servant, Fu Li had done plenty of homework, especially when it came to the extra credit policies. He remembered those very clearly.

For a moment, Chu Yu was at a loss. He shook his head and replied, "No."

"Oh," Fu Li casually put the registration form into his pocket. "Be careful on the road, I'll go back now."

Chu Yu watched Fu Li gradually vanish into the distance, an indescribable feeling in his heart. The image of his back was particularly lofty and imposing, brimming with mystery and power, giving rise to a feeling of subdued strength that was grand yet classy.