Chapter 134

Parthellam, the city of lights, was one among the bustling cities of Orion that was active at night just as much as the day. Being the capital of the Herrmann marquisate, the city was a must-stop destination for merchants and travelers alike.

Other than the shopping district, where the local merchant headquarters was located and the city square, there were a number of tourist sites in the vicinity owing to the efforts of the local Lord.

Having reached the city just as the day turned to night, the entourage had reached their journey's end two days later than originally planned.

Due to the ogre ambush, the trip was delayed. And since some of the members were injured, it took more time than planned to reach the city.

The carriages were aligned in front of the local merchant headquarters for the official handover of goods.

Officially the Orion merchants have been safely escorted from Velven to Parthellam. And once the merchants check the goods and the pending payments are done. The merchantry and the mercenaries will go on their separate paths.

Moreover, the Tullus mercenaries were scheduled to travel west, for their yearly visit to the rural cities. Thus the Nero mercenaries will be on their own for the return trip back to Velen. 

It was fortunate in a way since without the Tullus mercenaries joining them, they would be able to make multiple detours and pit stops on a whim without worrying about following a schedule.

After a day's rest and sightseeing, the Nero mercenaries would leave Parthellam to begin their solo trip back to their homeland.

Raeden alongside Chief Gallahan had left to meet with the merchantry head to receive the payment, while Jade and Eugene had gone in search of lodgings for the night, leaving behind the trio foxes.

While waiting for them to return, Ann, Noah, and Oliver watched as the relic they had been guarding for more than a month being unloaded from the carriage.

"Any guesses on what we helped bring into this country?" Ann raised a question, popping a piece of sour candy into her mouth. Then extended the pouch of candy toward the twins as she narrowed her eyes at the relic. 

It took six men to carry the relic out of the carriage and onto the cart.

"Treasure maybe?" Oliver took a candy for himself and passed the pouch to his brother.

The relic in itself shone like treasure under the night lights, attracting the attention of the people passing by when the tarp was pulled down during transport. So it was not entirely hard to deny that there may be valuable treasure inside.

"Some ancient crown or something? They did find it buried under the ground. That's where people usually hide treasures" Noah speculated, only to immediately twist his face from the sourness of the candy.

"Ugh... How do you even eat this?!" He complained, slopping his tongue inside and out like a snake.

Ann and Oliver glanced at him for a second, then quickly went back to examining the relic.

"You guys are cruel!" 

Ignoring his dramatic outburst, Oliver calmly stated,

"I bet there's nothing. Just air. Or is it ancient air"

"Hmm... Interesting theories" Ann hummed with her eyes closed.

"My money's on a face-hugging alien egg that latches itself onto your face. Eats everything from the inside out and bursts its way through the abdomen to destroy humanity"

"..."

Noah and Oliver looked at each other stunned by Ann's theory.

Even in their wildest dreams, they have never imagined such a horror. They could only imagine what kind of life Ann had seen before she joined the Nero mercenaries.