58

TW: mention of sexual assault

LOU'S POV:

I knocked on Diane's door. I was nervous about tonight, I wanted her to have an amazing night, so of course I needed everything to be perfect. In about four hours it would be December 18th, her birthday.

The porch light turned on after a few silent seconds, and she opened the door. I smiled, and hugged my black coat closer to my body, not wanting her to see what was going on inside it.

She gave me the slightest, smallest smile, but she looked so adorable.

"Hey," She said, she seemed a bit under the weather.

I smiled even wider. I was happy to see her, and nervous and anxious about tonight.

"Hello."

Diane opened the door for me to enter, "You look a bit mysterious." She said. Her voice was a bit raspy, I could tell.

"Do I?" I got inside her house and closed the door behind me, now face to face to Diane. "Are you alright?"

Diane only looked at me and gave me a slow nod that only made me worry even more.

"You're not alright." I said.

The disappointment in me was obvious, I knew that. I wanted tonight to be Dee's night, to make her have a good time and enjoy herself, but now she seemed crushed and drained.

"I am." She said, one of her hands going to grab at my coat, probably to take it off.

"No." I said, "I'm okay like this."

She raised an eyebrow, confused, but she was still pale and there was no light in her eyes like normally. Now I was the one reaching for her with one of my hands, I caressed her cheek.

"You aren't okay." I said.

Diane sighed and leaned into my touch, "I'm sorry. I know you wanted to make tonight special for me. It's been quite a shit day."

"Your mom?" I asked.

She shook her head, "No. Worse. It's... complicated."

"What's more complicated than your mom?"

She let out a little giggle, but then she let go of her barriers and her puppy eyes told me it was something awful. Slowly she kissed my hand, the one that kept caressing her cheek, and she leaned onto me, seeking warmth.

"It was an awful day, that's all I know." She whispered and let herself rest against me. "I missed you all day."

"I did too. Will you tell me what happened?" I asked.

I felt a bit relieved to just stand and not do anything right now, because it had been a long day looking for the damn costume I was wearing underneath, and I had ran all around town looking for the perfect red nail polish, etc.

"I lied to you," She hugged onto me, tighter than ever.

My eyes widened a bit because hearing that was scary. Lied to me about what?

"What about?"

"Aaron." She whispered.

I hugged her back.

I was confused.

She sobbed a bit, then she grabbed my hand and took me to the living room, one of her couches was missing, and I could see it was on the backyard for some reason, so we sat in the other one.

She grabbed both my hands, she looked into my eyes, and opened her mouth. I thought she was going to talk, but a shriek came out of her, as if she was in pain. Diane started crying unexpectedly, which caught me by surprise.