Chapter Twenty-Two: Late Night Reconciliation

The following days were nothing but a blur.

Through sleepless nights spent huddled in the corner of her bed, Y/n could barely discern what had been happening in or around the shack. Every second she felt on edge; she swore she could feel Bill around, watching her every move. She was afraid to turn a corner or survey a room and find his piercing gaze staring back at her. Even if it was probably nothing but an irrational fear, a lack of sleep can really instill such a trepidation in a person.

She had long since given up on sleep. If Bill had managed to do that much damage to her psyche in what little time she had with him when he revealed his true intentions, then she could only imagine what could happen when he had a good 12 hours to wreak havoc. So, for the foreseeable future, she stayed awake with the moon and let her fear fuel her late night application and binge-watching sessions. Her room, despite it being the site of where her whole triangular problem originated, became her new refuge; she'd barely come out anymore.

If she had ever thought she had been isolating herself back at home, then this took the cake: she had maybe spoken to the Pines about... once— possibly twice— over the course of about three days. Y/n let the twins run the conversations, only occasionally contributing with a slight nod or a fake smile. She was lucky, though; everyone thought she was too tired and didn't think much of the sudden muteness that fell over her. Thank God Stan gave her all that time off. 

It wasn't even as if she could contribute to the conversation, anyway. She had been out of the loop for so long that she wasn't even sure what the twins were up to. The most Y/n knew was that the three of them had gone to Greasy's Diner a couple days back, and then Dipper had a run in with these beasts called "Manotaurs."

Mabel had been so nice to inform her of the details— or at least, she told her the gist of what Dipper had told her. Most of her diner recap was of her quest to make Stan into an eligible bachelor for Lazy Susan. Y/n knew most of that story; it was hard not to when Mabel had blasted her motivational tape for at least 6 hours that day.

Unfortunately, it seemed that Y/n's luck was running out. She only had another day of glorious freetime. And since what was left of it was originally meant for her to catch up on sleep, she was growing more and more tense about returning to tours. She didn't know who she was kidding: she would eventually have to go back to sleeping. It was almost to the point where she was near passing out regularly. Her paranoia was getting the best of her, further blowing up the potential harm that could come from sleep.

"He'll kill me," she had started muttering whenever her thoughts hesitantly went back to sleep. "I don't even know if that's possible but it'll happen. He's a demon for fucks sake what were you thinking Y/n?"

But besides a sudden fear of sleep and panicked application and essay writing, there was one other relatively good thing that came out of her all nighters: she had managed to get through the journal.

At least, she was pretty sure she was. That too was a blur, if she were to be honest.

Either way, as she found herself with less and less pages in the journal and more and more pages filled with scribbled notes and franic writing in her Tabloid, she had finished with the journal a lot faster than she thought she would. And after her night with Bill, she was itching to finally give it back to Dipper.

She didn't care if he had failed to mention Gideon anymore; there was a new monster on the loose, and she needed to make sure Dipper knew everything about him. And if that meant risking a few more dangerous adventures, then it was a price she was willing to take. Afterall, now that she knew that Bill was nothing more than a snazzy and dapper liar, she wasn't too worried about the "Dipper was playing with fire" advice. She was almost certain that it was a lie that would eventually land her hands on the journal; the plans to the interdimensional gate. If she had the journal all to herself and had she made that deal, Bill would have had no trouble at all restarting it.