One.

Raegan

Walking down the street toward the corner store that rested on Alabama just a few blocks away from my house, I tried to hurry as it was already dark out. My brother Ryan was running the streets as usual and wouldn't be home until early tomorrow morning. Although I hated that he hustled for a living, I couldn't lie and say the money wasn't something we needed right now.

Ryan was the typical older brother that got on my nerves, but spoiled me rotten at the same time. He was the only male figure I had. He was twenty one to my seventeen an always acted more like a dad than a brother, but not having a father growing up I guess he figured I needed that. I was thankful, but at the same time I wondered what it would be like if people knew me and weren't scared of my big brother.

Picking up my pace as I noticed some local crack heads lingering I took longer strides as I crossed the street. It didn't matter how long we'd lived in this neighborhood I still didn't feel comfortable. Houston was home to many ghetto's and I was living in the most popular one. Third ward Texas all blacks no Mexicans as the saying use to go.

My brother and I currently lived in the house we grew up in with my grandmother. God rest her soul she passed away last year, and Ryan has been taking care of the bills while I finish out my senior year. This year in itself has been tough as hell for us, and with the hand we've been dealt I don't believe there's anymore losses we can take.

Finally reaching the corner market I entered the store letting the air condition cool me from the humid night air. Looking toward the register I smiled politely at Apollo who was the guy who'd been working this store since I was little. Apollo was a nice Pakistani man who was always smiling and loved what he did. Smiling back Apollo gave me a head nod. "Another Coke run?" He asked. Laughing I nodded my head yes.

Walking toward the back of the store I went to grab my soda. I didn't know what it was with me and Coke, but I had to have one everyday. My grandma use to tell me I was going to turn into a Coke. Grabbing the can Coke from the fridge I walked toward the chip isle ignoring my phone that was vibrating in my pocket. As I tried to debate on whether I wanted hot fries or hot chips, I heard the door chime again. Still being picky on my decision I settled for a bag of Doritos as I headed toward the front to pay. When I reached the end of the isle I saw two guys in ski masks holding Apollo at gun point while he held both his hands up trying to reason with them. My breathing hitched as my heart rate picked up. I'd never in my life witnessed a robbery and here one was unfolding in front of my eyes. I was scared shitless.

"God please don't let anything happen to me in this store tonight. I promise I'll listen to Ryan next time and stay my hot ass home. Lord please." I begged saying a small prayer in my head.

Still peaking around to see the commotion I could see the terrified look in Apollo's face as he stared down the barrel of the gun that was pointed at him. He soon went to open the register as I found myself chewing at my bottom lip in a panic.

"Hurry the fuck up nigga!" The shorter of the two masked guys gritted out while waving his gun back and forth as he spoke.

"I'm sorry take the money just don't shoo-" Apollo tried to plead. "Shut the fuck up!" The shorter one said again as the guy who I was guessing was the look out busted in to see what was taking so long. "Aye come da' fuck on y'all niggas acting like dis y'all first rodeo. Shoot dat nigga, get da' money, get da' tape and let's go."

While all that was going on I tried to reach in my pocket and grab my phone without dropping the stuff I had in my hands. If I made the slightest noise I'd be as good as gone for witnessing this whole thing. Easing the phone out my pocket I scrolled to Ryan's number to let him know what was going on. Whenever I was in trouble he was the first person I called. Others would probably call the police, but the police wouldn't do half the shit my brother would behind me so that was a waste. Just as I was about to dial his contact I felt the cold steel press against the back of my head causing me to drop all my snacks.