TWENTY

Word Count: 1625

~Avia

I stare out at the crowd of people, hating the way they stare back at me.

Isaiah stands at the front of the stage with his father, addressing the crowd. Something about a new development involving some disputed land. I suppose it's no longer disputed, which can only mean one thing...Isaiah or his father sent orders to their people to bust through the land and destroy everything there and displace the occupants in order to build other things that suit them.

"I hate these kinds of things," Mari mutters from beside me.

All the girls have joined us for this address. Even their families are here, although from the side-lines. Kit has the idea that people want to see our younger faces, feeling like they can trust them. And here I am, to soften the blow of whatever Isaiah and Kit are announcing.

"What I would do to not have important parents," Savea sighs, dipping her head back with frustration. They have no idea how lucky they are, to have the lives that they have. They are all trussed up in beautiful outfits, their hair neatly styled with lavish jewellery hanging off them.

I release a long, quiet breath. This isn't about proving them wrong, it's about relating to them.

"Me too...Although I wouldn't have met Isaiah," I note, threading my fingers together in front of me in a way to stop myself from doing or saying anything that would jeopardise this.

"How is that going, by the way?" Cherry asks, leaning over to look at me with curious eyes. Now that she has officially moved into Isaiah's manor, she's been noticing every small thing going on between Isaiah and I.

I stare at Isaiah's back, the sight of the crowd melting away around me. I can't tell what is going on between Isaiah and I. I've been slowly chipping away at him, gaining his trust. I've garnered more information for the rebels than they have gotten in years, and yet I still can't quell the strange feeling in my stomach.

That I'm not doing the right thing...

"I don't think he's interested in me," I admit lowly, shifting uncomfortably in my dress. Kenna and I don't exactly have the same dress sense, however I've had no other choice but to rely on her suitcase of clothing we found when we intercepted her car.

"Are you kidding? He keeps stealing glances at you, even now, when his father is talking," Cherry murmurs in my ear, nodding at him. "He's interested in you, trust me."

Mari sighs. "Even I've noticed it."

Kit turns to look at me over his shoulder, making me realise their speech has come to an end. People seem restless, the information clearly unsettling them. I'm now expected to step forward, to face them all as if I'm not one of them. As if I actually belong up here, with these people.

"That's my que," I mutter lowly, stepping forward between Kit and Isaiah.

Isaiah glances at me, looking sullen and distant. He always seems to get like that, when he is doing anything related to his position as Alpha. It's like he goes back into himself, let's a part of him shut down. I hate seeing it, but it's what I'm going to have to do right now.

Each word that comes out of my mouth tastes like poison on my lips. I hate the way they all look at me, down there, amongst the crowd of people. They ate me as much as they hate their Alpha. This part of the Pack is more unstable than others, who have warmed to the idea of a Noble girl from the Love Pack.

I'm meant to be like these people. And suddenly, I'm nothing better than the ones I stand on stage with.

***