chapter twenty four.

Lovelight- Robbie Williams,
for the story, it's by Hot Mess.🍒

-

I pulled up to the shop. I could see Dee past the clear glass windows, her head in a stack of paper as she mouthed off.

I'd not only remembered the way— surprisingly— but my father had begrudgingly caved into lending me his car for the day and I'd decided that it was better late than never to put my drivers license to good use.

Still being slightly shocked at my own actions and events of late last night, I'd woken up bright and early. Only to see my father hunched over the kitchen table with a fresh cup of coffee in his hands as I tip toed downstairs. After my pleading to take his car, and doing my usual morning tasks, I'd left in a flash. But not once had I looked in the mirror, not even I knew who I had turned into.

Stepping out, I slammed the car door, shoving my keys into the pocket of my jeans. I watched as Dee picked up on my approaching presence, and I noticed her shoot up from her seat, sprinting towards the door.

"My ray of sunshine!" She cheered as she ran out of the shop, throwing her arms around me instantly. "You have a smile on your face and I hope you have an answer for me. Please. Do you? Oh god, I couldn't sleep the past two nights, your little beady eyes were haunting me. Tell it to me straight, I'll still like you." Her chin was resting on my shoulder as she held me, we swung side to side until I pulled her away and peered into her worried gaze.

My heart was pounding. I was really about to do this. And I knew once the answer slipped from my lips, there was no going back.

I looked at her for a little longer, knowing the suspense was eating away at her. But a smile broke out on my face before I could even hold it back, "My answer is absolutely fucking yes." Her eyes lit up like I'd never seen, giving me her cheeriest grin as her hands covered her face.

"Oh thank fuck. Mabel! You sly little shit! I thought you were really about to bail on me and I was preparing myself to not cry... and I never cry!" Her hands planted themselves on either sides of my face as she pressed a sloppy kiss to my cheeks. "You'll never regret it. I promise you. Ever, ever, ever! I've totally got you for life now, oh my god, I get to teach you everything!!" I followed her as she yanked my hand, pulling it with hers as she pushed open the door for the both of us to walk into.

The space looked exactly as it had when I'd last been in it, though less dust, and more homier now that I knew I'd be spending a lot of time here. She rounded the desk, back to her stack of paper, "I've just been filling out some forms so that construction can start in about three weeks. Sooner than I'd expected which is amazing, also means it can open earlier than what was set anddd, in the meantime I'll teach you the ropes." I nodded as I took in everything she had said, "And will the ropes be hard? You know I have no background in this kind of work." But all she did was smile, of course she knew I had no idea of what I was doing, yet she was willing to help me regardless.

"I know sweets, that's okay. It's going to be easy peasy and before you know it, you'll be comfortable with absolutely everything. I don't care how long it takes, I'm just happy I've got you." She swung her hair back, sinking down into the chair as she pointed to another close to her, "Pull it up, I want to show you some things." And so I did, I carried the chair over because I didn't want it to drag on the new floor, and I sat right beside her.