- 86 -

- arabella -

The brunch had begun about two hours ago and all I could think about was that kiss with Bill and why I did it.

Unfortunately for me, my seat was besides his and to his left sat Julian and his dad on his other side with my sister next to him. Besides me sat some famous surgeon in the Chicagoland who just sent glares at Claire in front of us.

I ate my food in peace while the rest chatted, Bill turning to look at me every now and then. I didn't know if it was because he wanted to chat or wanted to make me feel excluded in their conversation—which most of it was in Swedish.

"Are you okay?" The surgeon asked suddenly, setting his drink down besides where my hand was and made slight contact. "You've been playing with your food ever since it arrived. Are you getting morning sickness?"

Raising my eyebrows, I look between him and my food, seeing he was right. Frowning at how he caught that, I set my fork down and sighed, leaning back on the chair. "I guess my appetite left."

"So no sickness?" He asks again, nodding to himself when I just gave him a look. A sigh left him as well, his stance relaxing a bit. "Sorry, I just...I need a distraction, I guess."

"And you find that in pregnant women?" I heard myself say, his chuckle making me close my eyes and look away. "Sorry." I sigh again, side eyeing Bill to see him laugh with his brother and nephew. At least he has forgotten our kiss. "So...you're the prestigious surgeon in Chicago, huh?"

He looked a bit uncomfortable, giving me a small nod with a shrug. "That's what people say." Extending his hand, he smiled politely at me. "Connor."

I eyed his hand for a second, debating whether I should associate myself with another attractive male. He had a career with a high status many wouldn't come close to achieve, he looked like he belonged with the wealthy by his mannerisms, and on top of all of that, he was handsome—very handsome.

Gnawing down on my lip, I shook his hand and returned the smile. "Arabella Astor."

"So I've heard." He beamed back, dropping her hand quickly. Adjusting his napkin on his lap, he took his drink again. "My mentor talked very highly of your father and his children. He failed to mention how beautiful the Astor daughters were."

Laughing at his comment, I roll my eyes and looked away again, also taking a sip from my orange juice—too bad it's plain juice and not mixed with champagne.

"Did he also not mentioned the men in our lives?" I mumble setting my drink down, letting one of my hands lay on my bump. "Or the kids?"

Connor laughed too, his eyes briefly glancing down at my bump. "Congratulations, by the way. When are you due?"

"Um, late May, early June." I reply, rubbing the bump a bit. Feeling a set of eyes on us, I turn and saw Claire from across staring at him. I clear my throat and looked back at Connor. "So...do you have a reputation with a certain person here?"

His eyebrows furrowed and he looked around, his stance tensing as he made eye contact with Claire for a second before looking back at me. Where they exs?

He kissed his teeth, "Not necessarily a reputation."

Before I could go deeper into why they kept eye fighting each other, a hand was laid on my thigh and Bill leaned forward into our conversation. "Everything alright?"

Connor raised his eyebrows, smirking slightly when he saw me freeze. "Just asking a couple questions as a doctor."

"As a doctor?" Bill asked leaning closer, his chair scrapping the floor slightly. He moved his hand from my thigh to around my shoulder, "And what are the questions? If I may."

"If there was still some morning sickness." The doctor continued casually, not phased by what Bill was trying to come off as. "Her due date. Why she hasn't touched her food, and who's going to be besides her at the labor and delivery."

I felt my eyes widened and my saliva pass down to my lungs, the chocking feeling making my eyes tear up as I tried to cough out the liquid.

"I'm fine." I wheeze out, pushing away the hands from the two men trying to pat my back. By now the whole table sat staring at us three, Regina's disappointed look making me feel like shit. "Bill, can you take me to the ladies room?"

"Yes." He says throwing the napkin on the table, resting a hand on my lower back to guide me. "Come on."

I stop him from pushing me and gave Connor a small smile, "It was nice meeting you, doctor. I hope Is there a way to get in contact with you? For more pregnancy information, of course."

I could tell Connor noticed my tone of voice and the way I told my words, by the way he held down a smirk and tried not to burst out laughing, I could see he knew this was all an act to poke fun if Bill.

"Yes, yes." He said in a happy voice, taking his wallet out and then pulling a business card out, extending it out for me. "Any day, at anytime. Just call and I'll be ready."

Scanning the card briefly, I clear my throat and grinned at him. "Thank you, Connor."

"My pleasure, Arabella." He nodded back, "Take care."

Walking into the bathroom I had my breakdown earlier, Bill closed the door behind us and leaned on the counter. "I really want to try one more time with you. I'm serious this time."

"I have Zayn." I blurted out, not believing myself and why I had said it. He didn't matter at this point, he ran from me. "And we have a daughter on the way and you...you have one waiting for you."

"When her mum and I broke up, we talked about how we're going to raise her." He slowly said, taking one of my hands and squeezing it. "I told her about you and...she already found someone else."

My heart began to race, "You have it figured out, but I don't."

"You'll have to sooner or later." He continued, pushing me to agree on whatever he wanted to happen. His eyes were hopeful and his soft touches on my hand told me he cared, about me and Zoe. "If he isn't treating you the way I treat you right now, he never will."

"Bill, I can't!" I snap, feeling angry for the disrespect he showed to Zayn. "He's the father to my child and I love him."

"You love the idea of having him and a family together, Bella." He continued on, standing up and looking powerful besides me. "Not because you actually feel love towards him."

I stood quiet, not because I was raging inside and tried not to snap at him, but because he was right.

"What are you afraid of?" He asked in a calmer voice, touching my cheek softly. "Bella—"

"I'm afraid that you'll leave me like he did." I sigh, too tired to cry. "That you'll meet Zoe and then leave her..."

Bill sighed heavily, pulling me into a hug and caressing my back. "Give me the chance to prove you wrong."

I close my eyes and just relaxed my mind, shaking my head and hugging him back. I was too tired to fight or think. "Can we get out of here?"

[ happiest of holidays for all of you💞

here's a lil update...i promise i'll update again soon🥰🥰

💞love ya'll💞 ]