Chapter 26: Shadows

It was dark, a sword to her neck, she gasped and puffed in fear. The poor woman lay down in the mud, she was a maid from the castle. Her son was crying behind her, she had just looked for him. He had been playing with his friends. The woman wheezed in pain when the sword cut her neck, deep enough to hurt but not kill. Her child only cried louder.

"Get me inside the castle" a voice growled.

"N-no!" she snapped, the person standing in front of them frowned. They kicked the person before walking forward and showing their sword to the child. As if in a threat.

"Get me in... now" the growl was loud, the sword inches away from the child's throat.

The child hiccuped, frozen in fear. Their mother wide-eyed starred in terror before nodding abruptly.

"Y-yes! Fo-follow me please!" she whimpered. Quickly she scrambled up on her feet and guided the woman, not before picking up her child and making sure he was okay. She kissed the child on his forehead, the other whined, then swiping off the sweat of his forehead the woman guided the other person.

She knew the consequences of letting someone inside the castle without permission...

.

.

.

Especially someone who meant evil. She would probably be beheaded, she would be gone, never to be seen again. And so she would need to find someone who takes care of her son. Someone who swears their life and makes sure to take care of her son... oh poor Palette. He had gone through so much. His father used to be abusive, she was lucky to escape with her son. She was lucky to find a job and give an... okay life to her son. And now, he was once again being threatened to be killed.

"Mommy?" the young boy whimpered.

He was only 3, such a young age. He had seen so many things already...

The woman one kissed the boy on the forehead once again. His mother was just trying to reassure him that everything was okay. Her child corresponded to this affection by hiding his face on his mother's neck, taking peeks of the woman following them.

She had light brown hair with freckles covering her face. The boy gave an inaudible gasp when he saw a man, around the age of the woman following them, behind her. And soon a young teenage girl appeared. And more people from ages around 16 to 25 kept coming. His mother seemed to notice as she had started grabbing onto him tighter. Making sure that she could still feel her son in her arms.

"Mom... I'm scared" Palette whimpered.

"Don't worry dear, everything is okay," the woman smiled. Her dark brown curly hair seems to shine brighter than the moon. Her bright blue eyes seemed like the gentle reassuring river flow. He remembers the only reason her father left them was that her mother had a dark skin color and he came out with a light brown color.

He remembers his father being so happy that he had light brown hair with golden reflections, that he had blue eyes but he was furious about his skin color. He remembered he had tried getting witches to turn his skin color to become a lot more clear but they all failed. And so his father exposed those witches, so they could be killed.

It was funny, truly... royals or those who were important or had lots of territories wouldn't be killed. On the other hand, those who weren't born with them were killed.

His mother opened the door and entered the place. She left the door open for the other people. No one was around, it was supper time by now. Everyone was busy with their family or finishing making dinner. She guided them to her room. Unlucky for her all maids had their own rooms, but this was lucky for the attackers as they could now hide somewhere.