Chapter 38

That night in the Gryffindor common room, the festive celebrations of the completion of the first task continued

That night in the Gryffindor common room, the festive celebrations of the completion of the first task continued. Being the rowdy bunch they were, Harry reveled in the way the students from his house celebrated his victory. All three Hogwarts champions had scored the highest in the first task, each of them tying for first place. Harry was sure that if he walked past the kitchens he would hear a similar celebration going on for Cedric.

As for Castor, well, she had effectively vanished among the throngs of students headed back to the castle, and nobody had seen her since.

Fred and George hoisted Harry onto their shoulders with another cheer. Seamus held up his Golden Egg for the rest of Gryffindor house to see.

"Go on, Harry. What's the clue?"

"Who wants me to open it?" Harry asked the room. When the cheers were his only response, he twisted the top of the golden egg. Upon the high pitched screeching of the iridescent center, Fred and George dropped him to cover their ears, as well as the rest of the common room. Harry struggled to close the egg,

"What the bloody hell was that?" Harry looked over towards the portrait entrance, and upon the awkward air that still hung between the two friends, Fred did his job as big brother to diffuse the situation.

"Alright everyone, go back to your knitting. This is gonna be uncomfortable enough without all you nosy sods listening in."

Ron approached Harry, holding his head down and looking between his best friend and the floor. "I reckon you have to be barking mad to put your own name in the Goblet of Fire."

"Caught on, have you?" Harry sassed. "Took you long enough."

"I wasn't the only one who thought you'd done it. Everyone was saying it behind your back."

"Brilliant." Harry looked about the room. "That makes me feel loads better."

"At least I warned you about the dragons."

"Hagrid warned me about the dragons." Harry retorted.

"No, I did." Ron corrected. "Don't you remember? I told Hermione to tell Seamus that Seamus told me that Pavarti told Dean that Hagrid was looking for you." Harry scrunched his expression, still confused about the order of everybody. "Seamus never actually told me anything, so it was really me all along. I thought we'd be alright, you know? After you figured that out..." Ron trailed off guiltily.

"Who could have possibly figured that out?" Harry joked. "That's completely mental." The two friends laughed.

"I suppose I was a bit distraught." Ron and Harry nodded.

Hermione and Ginny shared an incredulous look, shaking their heads. "Boys."

"Have you seen Castor? I feel like I should apologize to her and Pollux as well. You know, for ignoring them all month too."