CHAPTER 17: TAUNTING TAYLYNN

Esterpine

Koldis shut his book when he saw the foggy shadows of movement outside the crystal door to the suite's sitting room. "Thank the gods," he growled as Claire emerged. "If I have to read another—what is she doing here?" He was immediately on his feet, eying the Sprite princess who'd swept in like the tide. She was a force that could not be ignored.

"She is here to explain that I'm going away into the forest the day after tomorrow," Claire said, crossing her arms and stepping aside for Taylynn. Damn this queen of his, standing there like that, daring him to protest.

"Is that so?" His eyes narrowed, turning to the Sprite princess. Taylynn met his gaze unflinchingly. There were few who had the gall. Most would have withered beneath the stare he paid her.

"Lord Koldis," she said by way of greeting. He almost shuddered at the sound of her musical voice. "Claire needs a way to explain the number of marks increasingly present on her skin. She will accompany me on a week-long journey. Everyone here will believe she is merely taking a routine solo trip into the forest, as is expected for learning our magic. She cannot hide from the task forever."

A whole week? His chest tightened. He wasn't sure what emotion it was, exactly. Likely worry and concern. He glanced between the two women before him, driven to argue Taylynn's point. But...her theory was valid. And as much as he wanted to protect his queen, he couldn't stifle her growth.

Yet...

"There is something you aren't telling us," he said.

"That is between myself and Lady Claire."

He clenched his jaw and glanced at Claire. "I don't trust her." There were so many useful reasons he appreciated Claire's ability to use her mind. He was certain—knowing Taylynn—that Claire had no idea why Taylynn was dragging her into the forest.

Claire—gods be cursed—answered him out loud, "I trust her, Koldis. I assume she has a good—"

"I have good reason. One I shall explain once we set out."

"I see. So...this isn't a typical pilgrimage where she will learn new magic."

"Correct," Taylynn confirmed.

"Excellent." A smile curved his lips. "Then you will have no qualms about my accompaniment—to make sure things do not get out of hand."

Taylynn opened her mouth—

"I think that'll be fine," said Claire, looking between them, "since this isn't a solo venture." Claire's expression—he recognized it immediately. The slight curve of her lips and the sparkle in her eyes. She was up to something.

Yet, he couldn't help the smug satisfaction at hearing her words, nor the satisfaction that came with watching Taylynn's face dart through several emotions before she nodded. "Very well. But do not slow us down, Drengr."

He held up his hands. "Wouldn't dream of it, Sprite."

Taylynn didn't linger. In fact, she dismissed herself almost immediately. He caught himself gazing at the door through which she'd disappeared and averted his eyes.

"Is there a reason you insist on being so aggressive when she's around?" Claire snapped, drawing his gaze straight to hers.

"I don't know what you speak of."

Claire tutted. "Riiiight. I could feel the heat sizzling off you. Off both of you. Just so you know, the only reason I'm allowing you to come is to fulfill my own curiosity."