59

LOU'S POV:

A tickle on my neck woke me up. It happened to be Diane's index finger tracing patterns on my skin. I smiled at the sight of her messy morning hair and the way her smile would show lines along her eyes and mouth.

"Hi."

"Hi." I responded. "Happy birthday to you..."

She rolled her eyes.

"Happy Birthday to youuu," I kept singing, "Happy Birthday Mr. President," I sang in a raspy morning voice.

Diane let out a giggle, "Thank you, Marilyn Monroe." She teased and kissed my cheek.

I loved waking up with her, next to her. It was like a dream come true, all those time I would wake up to see her face, to smell her scent, to kiss her skin.

Then it struck me what had happened last night. Andy, Aaron's other half had been here, they had tormented my girlfriend.

She must have noticed my expression change, because she nuzzled her face to my chest and hugged onto my frame, "I'm alright," She mumbled.

"Promise?"

There was silence.

She couldn't promise me a lie.

"I'll be fine."

I wanted to scoff, to be rude, to fight her because I knew she was hurt. "I care about you." I reminded her.

Diane sighed and kept her body on top of mine, resting. "I know that. Thank you."

I wanted to get out of this comfortable bed and run all the day to wherever this 'Andy' person was and kick their ass.

"I love you," Diane said.

Effortlessly I smiled, "Me too."

I held onto her for the next few minutes before she went back to sleep and I could get her off of me while she kept sleeping. I went into the kitchen and followed the plan I had worked on for this birthday morning. I did a fruit plate, I managed to toast bread and not burn it, and then I put everything in a nice tray.

I knocked on her bedroom door twice, hoping this would start to wake her up.

It did.

I surprised her with breakfast in bed, and I stared as she ate until she was satisfied.

Diane still looked tired, but not tired as if she didn't get much sleep. She looked defeated and I wanted nothing more but to get rid of those sad eyes.

I washed the dishes, I got her a glass of water for her vitamins, and then I filled the bathtub with her favorite salts. I wanted her to relax, maybe take her mind off of the infuriating situation.

We both got in the warm bubbly water, Diane sat in between my legs, her back resting against my torso. I hugged her from behind, kissed the exposed flesh of her shoulder and talked in her ear, "You're the most beautiful woman I've ever met."

She giggled at the sentences I told her, she played with the water.

"I seriously have never seen anybody as beautiful as you."

Diane rested her head on my shoulder and looked up to my eyes with a bit of difficulty, "I love you so much."

I wanted to make her feel special, not only today but every day. I wanted to keep her safe from hurtful people or hurtful memories, and sometimes I got so upset and angry when I couldn't do so, because I don't have power over her thoughts.

I don't have power over her.

Sometimes I wanted to control everything, make everything pink and glittery, because the reality was a bitch and it hurt sometimes.

But at the same time that's what made me fall in love with Diane. All the good and the bad in her, all of her, because it all ends up being good.

I fell in love with her bitchiness, with her anger, with her passion, with her joy and her sadness. I fell in love with everything about her.

"I don't think I've ever felt as happy as I feel right now," Diane said.

That was all I needed to hear.

"You make me happy," Her beautiful voice said.

A smile appeared on her lips, and I reciprocated almost immediately.

"You make me happy." I said, scrubbing the soft skin of one of her thighs.

"Do you ever think about the future?" She asked, watching my hands clean her skin.

I frowned, "Of course I do, I'm an anxiety monster." I put away the sponge, caressed her thigh up to her stomach and rested my hand just under her breast.

She laughed at that, "I am too, but I meant as in... if you picture your life a few years from now." She united her hands with mine.

I grinned, inhaled profoundly, "Of course. I think in about five years we'll be celebrating your 32nd birthday cuddled in front of our fireplace..."

"We'll have a fireplace?" She asks, and I feel her relax onto my body.

I nod my head, "We will... and I'll have you wrapped around my arms just like right now. We'll open a champagne, at that point I'll drink socially, I think... and we'll both quit smoking, but we will smoke anyways."

She giggled, "What else?" Diane moved her feet on the water, splashing a bit.

"I don't know... The fantasy changes, sometimes I think we'll be both tired as hell with a child running around and maybe a dog..." I say, feeling my own cheeks burn.

"You've thought about that?" She asked surprised.

I wanted to slap myself, "Sometimes."

She kissed my neck, "Two girls."

"Hm?"

Diane cleared her throat, "Two girls," She repeated, "I've always pictured two girls for us. We both have sisters, and I'd love for my children to experience sisterhood."

I giggled involuntarily, this talk was making me blush, "Girls are always easier... Boys are too destructive."

Diane laughed out loud, "We could do their hair and take them to pride with us, take them to vacation with us... cuddle them to sleep."

"I'd love that." I kissed the top of Diane's head. "We'd cook Christmas cookies and do sand castles."

"They would annoy Sophie's child, which would be epic." Diane smiled and turned her head slightly to kiss my neck.

I rolled my eyes, "Maybe their kid will be more Sophie than Christopher."

"Either way, my children will be against that blood." She said.

"You're mean." I chuckled.

She scoffed, "You've been in my classroom, you should be used to it by now." Diane shrugged her shoulders and then laid back.

"I like the name Ann, though. I've always wanted to call one of my kids that if I ever got to have them." I said.

"Jennifer, Talia, Lila, Hera..."

"Hera?"

"I'm into greek things, you should know that too." Diane giggled, bringing one of my hands to her lips to kiss it.