Slytherin vs Ravenclaw

My eyes blinked a few times into the brightly lit classroom, Harry and Professor Lupin looking at me nervously. I jolted back to my feet, more annoyed than embarrassed with every attempt at the patronus charm that I couldn't complete.

"You're getting closer, I think." Harry said, offering me a smile as Lupin held out a piece of chocolate which I reluctantly bit into.

"I think you need a stronger memory, Cassidy. It can be hard to find the right one, but think on it this week. I'll see you both tomorrow for class."

Harry waited for me to stand up, grabbing my wand from the floor where I had fallen before we headed to the hallway.

"It's a really hard spell. You'll get it soon." Harry mumbled as we headed back to the entrance hall where the stairs to both of our dormitories were.

"I don't feel like I'm getting any better." I sighed, picking an uneven edge off my fingernail to avoid looking at him. I should have known better than to try and take these lessons with Harry. Of course the boy who lived, the boy who defeated You-Know-Who as a baby would blow past me in spellwork.

"I know. This is how I feel in Divination, but for some reason Defense Against the Dark Arts has always been my favorite." He trailed off as we reached our staircases and I gave him a nod goodnight as I started towards mine.

"Hey, really only one of us has to get it right? I'll send mine over anytime you need him." Harry joked, leaving me with a smile.

"Well, well, well," A voice startled me from the shadows near the entrance to the Common Room. "A Hufflepuff? Out this late? Unheard of."

Fred stepped closer to me, a smirk lining his face.

"What are you doing here?" I laughed, slowing to a stop near the barrels and turning to look up at the ginger haired boy.

"Oh, I was just hanging out in my common room, you know." He gestured behind us.

"You have to stop letting yourself in places you don't belong."

"And where have you been, missy?" He pressed, ignoring my lecture.

I tapped the barrels with my wand, letting Fred in behind me as if he couldn't get in himself.

"Dementor lessons with Harry." I answered shortly, falling onto the couch and sending some sparks into the fireplace, still feeling chilly from lessons. The couch sagged as he dropped down next to me, our legs pressed against each other despite all the open space available for him to sit.

"How are those going?" His voice sounded cheery, but his eyes searched my face, seeming worried.

"Hard. I can't do it." I grumbled, staring into the fire instead of looking at him.

"And why's that?" He turned his body to face me, waiting for me to do the same.

"Lupin says my memories aren't strong enough." I finally gave in, wanting to be able to see him again. I sat across from him, my legs crossed and offered him a smile, although I felt defeated. Who knows how long it would take them to catch Black? The Dementors could be stationed here through next year too.

"What memories?" Fred asked, looking confused.

"The Dementors feed off happiness, so you need a really happy memory to conjure the spell to ward them off. It's called a Patronus. And I can't find a memory that will work."

"Well... let's think of one then! How about your first day at Hogwarts?"

"Tried it. The day I got my letter was... no good. And when I think of the first day coming here, I just think of the train ride with Tommy."