twenty

The days passed quickly, without any trouble, and Choi Jangmi was beginning to settle down in her new home. She was now used to waking up in an extremely large bedroom every morning, and was at ease when she heard some of the servants preparing her bath.

It was now normal for her to join the boys for breakfast, often joining the eldest of the palace household in cooking a variety of dishes and having fun in the gardens, watching the descent of the sun with the maknaes of the group.

The Empress was currently in her chambers, eyeing the paper crafts that she had purchased from her trip to the village, making the decision to fold her own masterpiece. Her nimble fingers worked at the paper, carefully aligning each fold and crease to the perfect degree, her tongue poking out in concentration.

It took her half an hour until she was satisfied with the final result. The Choi stared at the paper elephant, a grin on her lips.

How cute.

A knock on the door diverted her attention towards the new arrival, Jung Hoseok peeking into view. "I just came in to check on you," He greeted, taking a seat besides her. His eyes spotted the paper elephant and his facial expression morphed into something that resembled pure joy.

"That is so good!" He praised, delicately examining the craft. "Was this the paper that we bought a few days ago?"

Jangmi nodded. "I was a little bored, and decided why not complete it? And, maybe I could add some colour to the palace?"

"Oh definitely," Hoseok lowered his voice. "I don't know if you can tell, but Yoongi's not the biggest colour enthusiast around here,"

The Choi girl chuckled. "I couldn't tell whatsoever,"

...

A few more sunsets passed, the palace quietly preparing for the night, and as Min Yoongi shrugged off his dark cloak, passing the portrait of his father, he paused, staring at the acrylic spread across the canvas.

Something did not look right.

His onyx eyes flitted around and about the frame, trying to work out the oddness that was confusing him, before his pupils landed upon a green, paper elephant looking strange on the dark, mahogany wood.

His slender fingers picked it up, turning it, studying it. The boys all loved making crafts but they had never really left their creations lying around, and the staff in the palace would never do such a thing, which only left one solution as to who had left this elephant there.

"Choi Jangmi," The Emperor's lips curled into the smallest of smiles. "What on earth are you doing to me?"