16. Carnival Nights, Fall, & The Plot Twist

"Pretty boy, fall is better

"Pretty boy, fall is better. Think about it. Gilmore Girls, pumpkin spice lattes, sweatshirts, crisp morning air, autumn leaves falling into place, Halloween- it's heaven on Earth."

I'm sitting in the passenger seat of Cole's car and he's in the driver's seat. We are having a friendly disagreement on whether fall or winter is better while he drives us to our town's annual fall carnival. There's a pumpkin patch, corn maze, petting zoo, bouncy houses, and other games. 

"Winter is better! It's cold out and there's snow-"

"We live in Southern California! The closest thing we have ever had to snow is hail. Which quite frankly is a rare occurrence in itself," I point out, rolling my eyes.

"Keep rolling your eyes and I'll do something that will make them roll all the way back, babe," Cole says with a smirk.

"M'kay when and where? I am a busy woman," I say, playing along. Although I am not sure if he is playing or not...

Cole shakes his head and chuckles. "You are hilarious Lil."

"I know. I should have a comedy show."

"It would be called Lilianna's Hot Takes. Get it? Because you are hot."

I roll my eyes at him and his stupid commentary as we pull into a parking spot at the carnival.

"Remember what I said earlier, darling. If you really want me to, I'll give you something to roll your eyes at."

"Oh yes, the ridiculous proposition," I say looking at him with a bored face.

"It's not a proposition, it's a promise, babe."

*******

We have been here for an hour. We went to the petting zoo because I am a child at heart. Obviously. Then we went to the corn maze because Cole said he could figure it out better than anyone and we would be in and out in record time. Ergo, we spent forty-five minutes in that damn maze.

We also went to the sunflower patch because I wanted to see the sunflowers- Cole took pictures of us with my Polaroid. He took one where he is kissing my cheek and now has it in the back of his clear phone case. He claims it to be the best picture he has ever taken.

"Can we go on the ferris wheel?" I ask as I take the last bite of my funnel cake that we got at a concession stand after looking at the sunflowers.

"Only the cheesy couples do that, Lil."

"What if I want us to be a cheesy couple?"

"Then I would do whatever it takes for you to be happy and your wishes to be fulfilled," he says with a smile. He grabs my hand and walks into the ferris wheel line.

Cole hands the worker two red rickets, one for the each of us, and we wait in line. A girl wearing a short plaid skirt and what looks to be five inch stilettos walks past us with a guy hot on her trail.