7. A Problem for Tess

Tess's phone vibrated in her pocket as she ran down the stairs. She glanced at the screen, and saw that it was the alarm she'd set before moving in. She hadn't known if there would be an alarm clock in her new room, or how long it would take her to move in, so she'd set an alarm on her phone.

Not early enough, if Cousin Gabby was right about how long it would take to get to school from here. But first period would be Music with Miss MacManus, who would be sure to accept an apology if her favourite student was a little late. But after today, Tess would have a better idea when she needed to wake up, and by the end of the week she was sure she would have settled into a new routine.

Breakfast turned out a little different from what she had expected, but it was just what she needed. Two slices of french toast, with a mound of crispy bacon between them, gave all the joy of a fried breakfast but could be eaten in a fraction of the time. Tess dug in quickly, and nodded when offered a jug of black coffee. The drink was still hot, but the first sip was a reminder that she should be rushing to get everything ready for school.

"I hope you're feeling confident this morning," Gabby offered. "First day in a new home, it can be pretty stressful, and I'd be surprised if there weren't some teething troubles. So if there's anything you need help with, anything you can't find, just let me know.

"I don't want to ask for help," Tess answered cagily. She didn't know Gabby's attitude to chores, but she knew that she would feel like a freeloader if she didn't do her bit. And she certainly didn't want Gabby to do her laundry, today especially. She needed to get everything cleaned up without her cousin finding out what had happened. "I mean, it's good that you're here. But I'd rather do things myself, if you can let me know how."

"Of course. Do you need to borrow the vacuum? I know moving in can kick up a lot of dust, and I might not have been so thorough cleaning the spare rooms."

"No, it's okay. I'll do it at the weekend if that's okay by you, give me time to put everything away first. But there's... Where's the laundry room? I... I think some stuff leaked in my bag, and I'd like to get it done before it stains. I mean, I could look around until I find it but I don't want to be poking around your house, and I'd better be quick if I want to put it on before I go out." She bit her lip and waited for a response, staring up at Gabby's back. It was the first time she'd lied to her, and she was already hoping that she wouldn't have to make a habit of it. She just needed to get through the day; this was one last hurdle on her road to independence.

"Don't worry about it, if you leave the stuff outside your room I'll do it during the day. I got like half a load of stuff to do anyway. Or... well, if you really want to be self-sufficient I can show you how to work the machine, and then you'll be able to do it yourself next time. It'll be quicker that way."

"No, no," Tess mumbled, already starting to panic again. She hadn't taken a bit of her breakfast in more than a minute, but it was hard to focus on anything but the upcoming calamity. She desperately needed to hide her little accident from her cousin. "No, I mean... I want to do it myself. If I get a house of my own I won't have anyone to show me, and this is like a practice run. Right? Best to set a good example for myself, start how I mean to go on."

"Yeeeah," Gabby answered slowly, rolling the word around in her mouth like she was testing the flavour of a new idea. But after a second she had formed her opinion. "Yeah, I can respect that. I hope you know that I'll help if you need it, but I'll show you stuff. And like I said, I'll treat you like an adult as long as you act like one." Tess blushed when she heard that. She vaguely remembered hearing something like that, and could only hope that Gabby hadn't meant the part about treating her like a baby if she acted like one. One more reason that she needed to keep her secret.

"There's no utility room here," Gabby continued. "It's an older house. All you need is right here." She opened one of the cupboards to reveal an automatic washing machine, and pointed across the room. "We got powder, those sheets to protect against colour running, and fabric softener in the drawer next to the sink over there. I've not got that sensitive skin stuff, but I think there's a free sample sachet of some brand if you want it. There's two spaces to put powder in, I usually put half a scoop in the first one and a full scoop in the second. There's icons on the screen that tell you which programme you got selected, but it might take a little imagination to figure out what they all mean. Ask if you need help, I don't think that's cheating. But I'd better sort my hair out before you head out, that way I can give you directions to the bus stop and maybe have time to catch Ffrances for a few minutes before work."

"Thanks," Tess called after her, as Gabby left the kitchen. Then she bolted the remainder of her breakfast, sampled the coffee and found it still a little too hot, and ran back to her room.