Chapter 18

As Thor snores next to me, something sinks into my brain. All the pain I feel sinks in. I look over to Thor to find a smile on his face.

Our dreams, as bad as some of they may be, are a break from reality. A break from reality we so desperately need.

As I slip into unconsciousness, I find what makes Thor smile. We dismount our horses.

I look back to my men and order "Stay with the horses. I wish to speak with my dear friend, alone."

I carry my saddle bag through the meadow. As we break the line of trees, Thor asks "You asked me here, my prince?"

I smirk at him and remark "Enough with the pleasantries, Thor."

He stops and asks "What do you wish me to call you this time?" He smirks, cockily and reminisces "Harlot?" I give him a sideways glance and he chuckles "Whore?"

I stop and declare "I asked you here for a picnic." He hums and I remark "If something else is to come of it, let it stand."

He gives a charmed smile "How I do cherish the stolen moments of your time." He looks down at a bush of berries and picks a few off "I do so wish to steal some hours away in your chambers."

I give him a regretful look "Regretfully, I wish the same. However, we both know what will happen if you're found in my chambers."

He sighs "Your title shall be damaged, and with you so near your coronation, you shall be dethroned as prince."

I furrow my brow and remind "After my coronation, we shall be free, Thor. Father will have no say in my bethrownal. The towns people my speak as they will. I merely wish you stay by my side during these-"

"What shall you do about Princess Katrina, of France?" Thor interrupts, before sighing "Are you not to marry her after your coronation?"

I furrow my brow and remind "We will not be married, no." He sighs and I step towards him "At this moment, those men are my father's. Once I'm king, we can do whatever we want in front of them, with no consequences."

He steps forward and I place my hand on his chest. I rub his chest and reach down for his hand. As I lead him down into the woods, he asks "Where are we going?"

I smile back at him and state "We're almost there."

As we break the foliage, I smile back at Thor and he asks "A lake?"

I rest my chin on is shoulder and state "Nobody comes out here. It's just so peaceful out here."

He slides his arm around me and asks "Where shall we sit?"

I jester to the sunny grass fifty meters away. As we walk over, Thor asks "What did you bring?"

I look to him and smirk "Meat pies."

He gives a weak smile, before declaring "The bar wrench gave me ale, if you favor."

He opens his canteen and takes a long gulp, before handing it over. As I take it from him, we step onto the grass.

Taking a swing, it feels rather odd. I furrow my brow and ask "What is this?"

"Mostly ale." He states, before looking to me "I believe a bit of whiskey from the Irish."

I hum as I take another drink. As I sit, Thor follows and I hand him a pie, I ask "How is Hela doing?"

He smiles to me "Dealing with mother and father, as always. She's doing just fine, otherwise."

I look at him, tiredly "And Odin and Frigga?"

He sighs, before explaining "Father is losing his wits. Mother is letting on that nothing is wrong."

He looks to the lake and asks "He's violent towards me, nowadays. The doctor says it could be for the rest of his life." I rub his shoulder fondly, before he weakly smiles at me "I keep the bar up and running, but it's not the same without father."

I hum, before asking "Do you know why my coronation has been moved up to next week?"

He shakes his head and I explain "Father, he's grown yellow, suspected to be years with the ale." He looks to me and I shrug "He rather not last to my coronation."

As I grab his ale, I explain "I've already burdened his kingly duties. He's more a head for the people now, than ever."

Thor looks to me in shock "You have me here, when you already shoulder the king's responsibilities?"

I shrug, before explaining "All business was done for the day. If anything else arises, it can wait until I return."

Thor looks to me and asks "So your father, lay dying in bed, and you take me out for berry foraging?"

I sigh, before smirking "Laufey has been a right arse to me my whole life. An arse of a king, as well. If he die, while I cherish my time away, so be it."

Thor shakes his head, before asking "Do they know how much time he has left?"

I look out to the lake and state "They were hoping through my coronation, but he's already ingesting milk of the poppy."

He furrows his brow and states "You speak as if you have no love for the king."

I scoff, before laying back onto the ground. I look up at him and explain "I can favor the way the king ruled. The man..." I look to Thor and sigh "The man, was dependent on ale. He was a piss poor man with a piss poor temper." He furrows his brow and I chuckle "He even forbid me from his chambers, in his time of dying."

He sighs, before sitting the pie down and turning over to brush the hair out of my face. I give him a weak smile "But you already knew that."

He smirks at me "Indeed."

He places his lips to mine and I pull away to insist "Say it, Thor."

He plays dumb for a moment, before placing his lips to my neck. When he leans forward to kiss me again, he speaks softly "I love you, Loki."

I skirt my lips on his and reassure "I love you."

And when I open my eyes, tears slip from my eyelids and I look down to Thor to find he's awake, too.

He looks up to me and asks "Picnic by the lake?"

I smile up at him and state "Picnic by the lake."