18 - A Lasting Memory

The coughs and groans from students echoed down and throughout the hall making it harder to concentrate yet you wouldn't let it get to you. If anything, what Sirius had done just before had flustered you more than the actual exam conditions did. A question about werewolves grabbed your attention, a small smile played on your lips as you let out a silent chuckle at the thought of Remus and the irony of the question. If you and the boys didn't get that question right then you knew the exam was rigged. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see James constantly making his hair messy, clearly hoping Lily was watching him when in reality she had her eyes glued to the exam paper. Sirius on the other hand kept making sure his hair was perfect whilst letting out a few childish snickers at some of the questions that related to your new friendship group. You'd done your best to ignore the boy but it grew harder when your mind trailed back to what had happened outside the hall with Sirius. 

Thankfully for you and every single student in the room, the time quickly began to pass and before you knew it, Professor Flitwick had announced that your time had finally finished. 

"Quills down please!" His voice boomed throughout the hall. Thankfully you had finished not so long ago, unlike Sirius who looked as if he'd never even opened the test. James yawned as he ruffled his hair, turning around to look at Sirius to whom he smiled at as Sirius gave him a thumbs up. You couldn't help but smile slightly at the two of them. James now turned his gaze and gave you a smile and a wink, clearly impressed with himself. 

Remus on the other hand was quickly checking through his answers, clearly on edge not just because of the full moon but also due to his exam paper before him although you knew he had done well. It was Remus, he was as smart as they come. Peter was somewhere in the hall, you didn't care where. For all, you cared he could have suffered a heart attack in the first five minutes and you wouldn't have batted an eyelid. There was something about that boy that you didn't like and you were determined to find out what he was hiding. 

"That means you too Stebbins!" Your attention was caught by Flitwick who was yelling at another student. "Please remain seated while I collect your parchment! Accio!" As he yelled all of the papers quickly made their way into his spare hand. If anyone was to walk in it would have looked as if it had started snowing. "You will all receive your results during the summer when you are home." He looked between you all as best he could. "Thank you, very well everybody, you're free to go!" 

Everyone quickly jumped up and sprang to their feet. You and the boys had done the same although you kept your eye out for Lily, hoping you could see her so you could talk to her and the rest of the girls but that was proving to be a challenge when Sirius Black came up behind you and slung an arm around you. 

"How'd you find that (y/l/n)?" He smirked as he towered over you from behind before coming to your side. 

"It was okay -" 

"See what did I tell you?" His hand went to under your chin and gave you a small tap so you looked up at him rather than the floor. "Knew our little genius could do it." 

"Our?" 

"Yeah, you're basically a part of the gang now let's be honest." 

"Is Sirius Black admitting that I am in your friendship group despite you hating the idea of me being friends with your friends?" 

"Oh shut it (y/l/n), I can always kick you out." 

"Not sure if James and Remus would like that." You smiled. 

"No you may be right there, think Peter would though."

"That's because he's a dirty rat." 

"He sort of looks like one doesn't he? Fits well with his animagus."