Wattpad Original
There are 25 more free parts

Seven

My eyes meet deep, dark irises. My heart stutters, caught between relief and fear.

Killian doesn't let go of my wrist; his touch is electric. My heart hasn't calmed, but now it pounds for a completely different reason—Killian's eyes are on my hand, clutching the dagger.

"Out in the forest armed with a dagger." He raises his gaze, a glint in his eye. "I'm not so sure that's allowed."

I tear my arm from his grip, stepping back and shoving the dagger back in its sheath. I was so relieved to see him and not a thief from the forge that I didn't think about what I must look like. Dressed in a man's clothes, with a dagger, covered in dirt. Maybe things are different in Portson, maybe this won't come across as unusual to him—I can only hope.

Before I can say anything, Killian's a mere foot away, hand reaching out. I freeze as his fingertips brush my hair back from my neck, eyes zeroing in on the exposed skin. I'm so shocked by the touch that for a few moments, I forgot what my hair was hiding.

"I fell," I say, a lousy explanation, but the first thing that comes out.

"How unfortunate," he murmurs. He doesn't believe me.

I step back so his hand falls away and the cut is covered by my hair again.

Killian glances over my shoulder. "Were you running from somebody?"

"What? No."

"Just scared of the dark, then."

"I'm not scared of the dark." The bushes rustle behind me. I fight the urge to turn around.

"I'll walk you back," Killian says, stepping to the side.

I don't say anything, too proud to admit that I'm glad. I'm not scared of the dark, or the forest, but a sinister feeling crawls across my skin, and Killian's presence chases it away. He falls into step beside me, ducking under low branches that hang a foot above my head.

"You didn't come to class today," I say, staring at him out of the corner of my eye.

"Did you miss me, Freya?"

"No." Warmth rushes to my cheeks. "I was just curious. Where were you?"

He doesn't say anything for a few moments, the coos of a bird filling the air between us. "I was dealing with... business."

I stop walking to stare at him. "Business?"

"Yes."

I frown. Maybe Jakob had been right; maybe he was looking for new work. But why?

"What are you doing in the forest this late, dressed like that, with a weapon?"

I lift my chin. Maybe if I act like it's normal, he'll think it is, too. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"What is it that your friend said yesterday at the lake? It's not exactly becoming of a young lady."

I adjust the dress over my shoulder, wishing I'd just put it on. "I don't care if you don't approve of my current attire."

I should. If he told anyone, both Casimir and I could be questioned by the council for suspicious behaviour.

"I never said I didn't approve."

There's a glint in his eye that makes my stomach twist. The slight tilt of his mouth, forming a dimple in his left cheek. I shiver, continuing forward. I can only hope things are different in Portson and Killian doesn't think to report me. The last thing I need right now is the council poking their nose in my business, or Casimir's. If something happened to him because of my recklessness, I'd never forgive myself.