𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

I think it was Dumbledore who once told me that the truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, therefore, treat it with caution.

He also told me that I was safe at Hogwarts. So really, I don't know what I should believe from him anymore.

I have a truth, one that took me a disgusting amount of time to believe, let alone accept.

Some part of me thinks that I have always known. But in that moment, I was just beginning to realize it.

***

Christmas was approaching rapidly, professors were starting to get lazy with their lessons with the thought of the upcoming holidays.

I was fairly cheerful about it too, as I have been since I first came to Hogwarts. Christmas at Hogwarts outdid any other that you could possible imagine. Trees taller than houses, decorations more extravagant than a ballroom.

The ceiling in the Great Hall was cloudy with falling snow. The choir was practicing at the front—Let it Snow was always a favourite of mine.

Hermione and Ron were both already packed for the Burrow. They invited me of course as well, but I had other recent priorities on my mind, priorities that made me question whether or not I should leave Hogwarts.

Draco sat at the far end of the Slytherin table. Close enough for me to see him, but too far away to see if he was eating or not.

He still wasn't a hundred percent back on his feet again after his last shutdown. He might've been worse, even, with it being so close to Christmas and all.

I didn't tell Ron and Hermione the reason that I was hesitant about joining them at the Burrow, I only said that I had a lot of homework to catch up on (which made Hermione furious, saying that I should've done it sooner so I didn't have to do it over Christmas).

And sure, I wanted to go. But I still felt guilty for all the time that the Weasleys put up with me over summer, I wasn't a very good guest.

"Mr Potter," someone called.

I looked to my left to see Professor Mcgonagall striding through the doorway.

"Potter, I need you to decide whether or not you're staying for Christmas," she said sternly,
"A simple 'please Professor! don't take down the sign up sheet just yet' will not do."

"Sorry, Professor," I apologized, "I'm still deciding."

"Well, what's holding you back here?"

I looked down at my plate. "I don't know," I lied, "I just don't know where to go."

"You're not going to the Weasley's?" she asked surprised.

"No, they invited me. I just don't know if I want to bother with the long trip and all," I lied again.

She gave me a sort of nod, an unsure nod. I know that she didn't believe me, but she wouldn't believe me if I told her that I wanted to keep an eye on Draco Malfoy, either.

I looked over to him again. I wondered if it would really be such a big deal if he were by himself for two weeks, it wasn't that long. Besides, I don't think he enjoyed my company much, either, he seemed to only tolerate it.