Chapter Nine

Oliver

I chose to veg out at home all day. There wasn't much going on at the office and I didn't feel the need to go. I needed a break from all that paperwork.

I wonder how Dad's managed all that and more for the past twenty years.

I also needed a break from the press. Just last week when Mum and I had lunch together at a restaurant and a random woman just happened to walk into the door before I did, my name was once again in the news.

I didn't even know who she was! I opened the door for my mother and held it open when she was walking through but, of course, that's not what the press saw.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't famous.

Thankfully, Mom understood what was going on and did not hound me. She was even the one who advised I take a day off and take care of my mental health.

When I was younger, she would always emphasize to me and my siblings how important it was for us to not overwork ourselves and even made monthly mandatory rest days for all of us especially my Dad.

I got everything I needed for my usual relaxation day. A tub of my favorite ice cream, an extra thick blanket and the TV, ready with a bunch of clips from the Steve Harvey show were all in the living room for me.

Because I loved the cold, I put the AC on full blast and got fully naked because why not? I live alone, there's no one here to see that. All the windows were closed and the blinds shut in an effort to make it look like no one was home but in the event that someone would actually take the chance and it was someone I couldn't ignore, I had some sweatpants two feet away.

Time to relax.

I started the first clip and got my ice cream, not bothering to use a bowl. In minutes I was wrapped up like a newborn baby and laughing my head off, already feeling significantly relaxed.

This continued for a couple more hours until someone decided to interrupt my day. I tried ignoring the person but even after twenty minutes he or she did not get the hint. The doorbell eventually annoyed me and I got up, put on my sweats and opened the door.

To my utter surprise, Lianne was standing on my porch looking quite chipper. I'd say this was the liveliest I've ever seen her.

“Hi Oliver.” She buzzed. “I hope I'm not interrupting, can I come in?”

If it was any other person I wouldn't have let them in but I haven't seen Lianne since the whole hacking incident last week. She seemed pretty angry at the person she obviously knew and I was worried about the actions she'd take in vengeance.

Good to see she's doing okay.

“Sure, come in, sorry about the mess.” I stepped aside, letting her walk in.

She had a few bags in her hand that I help her with, silently questioning what was inside. “It's okay. Your house is pretty cool, a bit too modern for my taste but it's cool.”

As a tech mogul it was expected for me to have at least a semi-futuristic home and I didn't mind the decor, it was okay. “You're the kind that likes the rustic sort of homes?”

She shrugged, setting the last bag on my kitchen table. “Not really, it's hard to explain. So what have you been up to?”

“Wondering how you found my house when I don't remember giving you the address.” I raised an eyebrow questioningly at her.

The corner of her mouth stretched into a cocky smirk. “You're not the only one who can stalk someone.”

I permitted myself to laugh a little. “I had good reason, what's yours.”