Part 3.16

Addy and her mother have been locked in an embrace for too long. I don't have anyone to hug. Onyx just watches me from his patch of grass, scrutiny weighing down every hair on his face.

"I thought I'd lose you." Addy draws back, wiping a tear with the back of her hand. "I came so close, hami."

Queen Irine shakes her head. "I don't know what came over me that day. I was in the forest by the burned-out stump, thinking of Madelima and your father, when an old woman appeared to me. She said she could take my pain away. I did not even ask who she was. I did not believe her. But I told her to do it, and I meant it, despite my disbelief. I never meant for any of this to happen."

"It isn't your fault," Addy assures her. "I suppose this is the first time Rikamu has ever given someone their heart back. I wonder what she does with them...all those hearts."

"She takes care of them," the queen replies simply. She turns to me. There's an apology in her eyes, though the muscles in her neck are tense, as if she doesn't want to say what she's going to say next. "I've put you through much trouble, Lily. I would like to thank you for protecting Adamantine. I am not a hundred percent comfortable with the idea of you being a witch, but I'm confident that you will continue to watch out for my daughter."

I nod. That's the only apology I'm going to get.

"Lily can never return to Ta-Mamau," Addy says sadly. She looks up into her mother's face, now sparkling a duller gold than usual. "Unless you could do something? Give a speech...?

Queen Irine shakes her head. "A few people may understand, but many will live in fear. No, we will tell them that I killed the witch. That way their queen will be the hero." She winks.

Oh, come on. Really?

Addy nods resignedly. Then something pops into her head and she brightens. "We're going to have so much fun in Zilitron. I can't wait to show you all the new spells I've learned. And having a talking cat is a blast, you'll see."

Queen Irine is coming to stay with us in Zilitron for a bit. One of her advisors will run the day-to-day affairs of the tribe in the meantime. Addy and her mother have quite a bit of healing to do, and this time Addy absolutely insisted on doing it together.

I'll be glad to get back to Witch Doctors Inc. Give me a desk and some fire quartz any day.

It won't be all roses though. I still see Bronna's face every time I close my eyes. A whole human being, an entire life of joy and pain and dreams, and I took it away. Just like that. Ivy will never get her sister back. I don't blame her if she hates me. If, like the rest of the tribe, she wants me burned at the stake.

Addy has a pile of Bronna's things set aside. She's left a few possessions around, in Queen Irine's tent as well as some of the tents commonly used for administration. Addy's sifting through them now. "Ivy would like this." A sad smile. "Bronna always wanted to be buried with one of the tribe's totems...oh. I don't think anyone would want this painting." She holds up the offender, and Queen Irine rolls her eyes.

"I think not," she responds. "We won't hang it up, but it is of great historical value. It will be put away, I should think, in a safe, albeit poorly lit, place."

A flash of red in the painting catches my eye. I start. The painting is of a girl of about my own age surrounded by awestruck villagers. She wears a black dress with lace ruffles, and her arms are raised above her head, a blue orb suspended between them. I recognise her auburn hair and green eyes.

"Addy, thats her," I say, pointing at the girl. "That's Bethany."

It's Addy's turn to be surprised. She exchanges a glance with her mother, who looks away quickly. "Lily...are you sure?" she asks. There's an odd skip to her words.

"I'm sure," I reply. "I'd know her anywhere."

Queen Irine bites her lip. Addy places a palm on the painting, her own lip folding and unfolding. "The girl in the painting. You're sure it's Bethany."

I frown. "Yes, I'm sure."

Addy raises her amber eyes to meet mine. Her gaze is unflinching,

"Lily," she says, "that's the Dark Witch."