𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐡

"Woah."

Exhaling in wonder, your breath comes out in visible huffs. You stop in your tracks to stare. Hogsmeade was a scenic village with rows of cottages, shops, and pubs. It was crowded with the holidays drawing nearer that you can barely see past the people wandering in and out of buildings.

Seamus sees the look on your face and beams. "Great, isn't it?" He said, patting your shoulder empathically.

"This is incredible!" You exclaim, glancing at the amused faces your friends are making. "'Mione said this is the only all-wizarding village in Britain. I've never seen so many magical folks in one place. Well, except in Diagon Alley, but this is different."

Dean's mouth had been agape in similar awe before he composes himself. He nods in agreement.

"It's way better than Diagon Alley though," he said, scanning the area. Despite his calm exterior, his eyes light up with excitement. "I wish I could take my sisters here for Christmas."

Your father would no doubt adore Hogsmeade. You can already imagine him dragging you and your mother around, asking locals and visitors alike about magic, and then settling in a nearby pub at the end of the day to gush about everything he's just seen. It's a shame you're not allowed to bring your parents with you. You nod to yourself, promising that you'll take them here someday.

"I heard Honeydukes is on the High Street," said Neville. "We should start looking."

The four of you agreed and went off to find the sweetshop. You run into other Hogwarts students on your search, but you don't see your roommates or Hermione and Ron once. You didn't worry about catching up to them. It was established beforehand that you'll eat lunch with your roommates, then spend the entire afternoon with the latter.

At the thought of your friends, your heart clenches for the one who couldn't come. You watched Professor McGonagall denying Harry permission to go while the rest of the third-years waited at the castle. Even if he tried not to show it, it was clear that he was in a sour mood. Dean had offered to forge his permission slip but that was after he'd told McGonagall his uncle didn't sign it for him. There was no tricking the professor, so he's the only third-year left behind.

You push your hands in your pockets and fiddle with the coins inside. You made sure that it's enough so that you can afford to buy sweets and whatever magical knickknacks you find. It's not much, but you hoped Harry would cheer up when you give them to him.

"There!"

Seamus is pointing at a wooden sign. Honeydukes is written on the surface, the sign swinging with the cold breeze. All of you exchange triumphant looks before rushing to the establishment. The windows are frosted over, but even with the thin sheet of ice coating the glass, you can see the jars of colourful sweets displayed inside.

Neville was about to go in first, but Dean stops him. He glances at you and dramatically flourishes an arm at the entrance.

"Ladies first."

You snigger but comply with a mocking bow. Three girls wearing Slytherin scarves exit the shop with satisfied smiles, one of them clutching a box that had 'Salt Water Taffy' stamped on it. At your approach, she holds the door open for you.

"Oh, uh, thank you."

You flush under her gaze. Most Slytherins you know are always dismissive that she caught you off guard. You sometimes forget that not all Slytherins were like Malfoy and Parkinson. Once you and the boys were inside, her voice greeting you an early 'Happy Christmas!' becomes muted with the heavy shut of the door.