Chapter 10

WARNINGS: mentions of children/pregnancy.

"Will you be having children anytime soon?"

The question caught Zhongli off guard. During an evening stroll with Y/n, an elderly woman had called them both over.

"Well, I'm not sure," Y/n admitted. "I mean, sure. I would love to have kids at some point but I'm busy teaching the kids at school and Zhongli's busy at the funeral parlor. I'm not exactly sure how we'll be able to balance parenthood and our jobs."

And him as an Archon.

Yes, that will be a conversation they will need to have soon. In the meantime...

"Zhongli!"

Hu Tao bounded into Zhongli's office, her hat nearly falling from her head if she were not quick enough to grab it.

"Where's Y/n?" Hu Tao whined. "Come on! I need my work wife!"

"She is not your wife, Hu Tao."

"Duh! There's a difference between wife and work wife!"

"She doesn't even work here, Hu Tao."

Hu Tao pouted.

"Fine! I'll go find her myself!"

"She's working on lesson plans. Do not disturb her or she will throw a teacup at you."

Truth be told, he was at fault for sending Xiao to deliver a message to his wife while she was busy. She did not take it lightly and chucked a teacup of hot tea at Xiao. If he weren't quick enough, he would've likely received some burns or at least been drenched in tea, milk, and sugar.

"Don't care!" Hu Tao cheered. "I'm gonna find her."

Zhongli sighed and shook his head.

That is if she finds the teapot.

Yes. Since the house has been destroyed and yet to be rebuilt, it was better for Y/n to remain there rather than come back. Work, shopping, and helping the people of the harbor are mainly the times she leaves. It's not like Zhongli minded, she was no prisoner. She's his wife!

Sighing once more, Zhongli picked up the pen laying by a pile of paper and resumed reading and signing away.

Later that day, Zhongli found his wife and Hu Tao at a restaurant together, talking over a meal. Y/n spotted him first and waved him over.

"Hi, dear," she greeted.

Gently pressing a kiss to the top of her head, Zhongli sat down beside her.

"How are you, darling?"

"I'm good!" She said. "Having dinner with Hu Tao as you can see!"

Hu Tao smirked at Zhongli.

"And you said I shouldn't disturb her," she teased.

"Hey now, you caught me after I was done with my lesson planning," Y/n pouted. "Zhongli had every right to warn you. Has he told you what happened to an acquaintance of his that came to visit?"

A mischievous grin grew over Hu Tao.

"What?" She cooed.

"I chucked a teacup at him.

"Whaaat? That's all you did? That's boring!"

An expected response from Hu Tao.

"What do you mean that's borning?" Y/n huffed. "I felt bad and apologized!"

"You should've chucked the whole teapot at him."

"What?!"

"Hu Tao, please," Zhongli cut in. "Before you work my wife up."

Hu Tao pouted and stood up.

"Just when I was having fun," she grumbled. "Anyways, I'm off. Before you ask, I'm paying. I know for a fact Zhongli didn't bring any Mora with him as always."

Zhongli looked away from the look Y/n gave him before waving bye to Hu Tao. Once the couple departed from the restaurant, they returned to the teapot together.

"You know, you really need to start remembering to bring Mora with you. I won't always be there to pay for things you buy on your own time."

"I apologize, darling. I am a busy man."

"And I'm a busy woman. Your point?"

"....."

"Thought so."

The two returned to the teapot as night started to creep in.

Y/n plopped down on the bed and hugged a pillow to her chest with a sigh. She pouted when Zhongli took it from her and tossed it away.

"Hey, I was cuddling that."

"You have me."

Y/n rolled her eyes.

"Clingy, I see."

Zhongli hummed, pulling her closer to him.

"You know....about the woman's question..."

Ah, yes. Children.

"We can discuss it in the morning, Y/n."

"No, I want to talk about it now," she retorted. "What would happen if we have kids? Will they be an Archon too?"

As far as he is aware, there are no Archons with any children. Perhaps adopted but no blood-related children.

"Truth be told, Y/n. I am unaware of any Archons having any children. Perhaps we will be the first to have children. Although, I do not oppose having them."

"You don't?"

"You thought I disliked children?"

"Kinda?"

"Darling, I would not willingly allow your students to drag me around to play with them while you are busy with parent conferences."

Y/n softly giggled and tightly squeezed him.

"If we're going to have kids, we need to find a balance of work and parenthood."

Zhongli softly kissed her forehead.

"That we do. Until then, we won't have children."

Y/n nodded.

"Yeah!"