6:A Hybridless Home Leaves The Wallet Full, The House Clean, But The Heart Empty

Eye of the storm;

noun:

The moment of peace after a period of chaos, before more chaos ensues.

You stared dead-eyed into the foggy bathroom mirror, condensation running in long threads from your smeared handprint to reveal your haggard appearance. Sleep hadn’t worked out so well, the events of the previous day ran miles in your head while you tossed and turned, not fully able to forget the bunny who slept in your closet or the rest of the forsaken hybrids who littered your apartment.

You never did get around to cleaning up. You were too shell-shocked after the conversation with Taehyung and the fight..

You looked at the phone resting on the counter beneath your hand and sighed like you just lost a hundred years off your life. ‘Have to do it sooner or later, Y/n, and you can’t afford later.’

Ring...

Just the first ring and already you were tensing up, chewing on your lip.

Ring...

You paced around the bathroom, the steam suddenly making the air feel thicker to breathe than before. 

Ring...

'I can't do this.. I can't—'

"Hello, the Y/l/n residence. How may I help you?"

Mouth dryer than the sahara, you plopped against the sink, tapping your foot as you croaked out, "Is Nadine available?"

"May I ask who is calling?" The younger lady's voice was a respectful tone, most likely one of the newer maids who hadn’t fully gone jaded. It was definitely a voice you were unfamiliar with.

"Tell her it's Y/n."

"And may I ask the business, please?" She cheerfully requested.

Chewing on the inside of your cheek, you played with the bottom of your yellow towel wrapped securely around your body, glaring at the fuzzy mat beneath your feet.

"Her daughter would like to speak to her.” Your tone was more biting than you intended, but every second on that phone call was eating away at your nerves like running acid.

"O-Oh! Right away miss," she sputtered before the sound of shuffling and a long momentary silence came from the other end until your mother's posh, haughty voice filled your ear. A voice that made your teeth clench and eyes squeeze closed. 

"Darling, is that you?" She asked with no amount of surprise. In fact, she sounded distracted, as usual.

"Hello, mother."

"Puddin'! Why on Earth are you calling the house phone and not my personal cell?" The sound of a glass being sat down against another glass surface faintly drifted through the speaker.

"Because you've never given me your number, mother," you sighed.

"Oh, I suppose you're right. Hmmm. Well it's good to hear from you, darling. Is this your new number? We've not heard from you in so long."