32 ~ What will be, will be

Martha excused herself from the sitting room and ventured into the hallway where she had their phone installed

Martha excused herself from the sitting room and ventured into the hallway where she had their phone installed. She knew Cora would want to know when Evelyn had arrived safely since she knew they hadn't heard from her in quite a while. She hoped that with the time difference the family would still be home.

"Downton residence, this is Carson speaking."

"Carson! Hello dear, it's Martha. Is Cora available?"

"Good morning to you Mises Levinson. She is indeed I'll get her for you promptly."

It took only moments before Cora's gentle voice came over the line. "Is she ok? Did she make it there?"

"Well hello to you too lovely daughter of mine."

Cora chuckled. "Sorry, mother. Hello. I'm just worried."

"She's perfectly fine. Arrived late last night but settled in well. I'm about to take her out for a day in the city."

"Mother don't go overboard with the spending."

"Oh nonsense, Cora! I haven't seen Evie in four years I'll spend my money as I please. Anyway, I've called with two concerns: one you might be able to address and for the other, I'd like to speak to Robert."  

"Ok..." Cora sounded rather anxious all of a sudden.

"I'll start with you then. What on earth is happening with Matthew? Last I heard he was likely going to propose to Evie."

On Cora's end, her face displayed obvious confusion. "He was."

Martha froze. "He was?"

"Yes...? Why did Evie say otherwise?"

Martha pondered for a moment. "Get Robert on the phone first."

"Mother-"

"Trust me, Cora."

Cora sighed. "Hold on."

Moments later, Robert spoke. "Hello, my wonderful mother-in-law."

"Hello, dear. This is a dark subject perhaps but I was wondering what all you know about this...possible impending war. How deep into this is England? I'm concerned for Evelyn's travels in a few weeks."

"Dark subject indeed...I haven't heard too much. They're saying it's being handled accordingly - whatever that means. But they have, for the time being, restricted travel out of the country. They did so the day after Evelyn left. But I don't think it's much to be concerned with they should have everything back to normal before she travels back home."

Martha wasn't too convinced. "If you say so. Thank you. Might I speak to Cora again?"

"Of course. Give Evie a hug for me."

"What was that about?" Cora asked annoyed.

"Cora I don't believe this war issue is as minor as every man around is making it seem. Right now Evelyn is stuck in America and I'm seeing it for what it is which will be long term."