Chapter 55

Liam's POV

I felt numb.

There was a fissure in my chest, webbing farther and farther inside of me and it didn't stop.

I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything except for staring at the space where Chris stood.

"Chris. Stop it." I laughed, but it came out wrong. Nervous. Empty.

"You can come back now." I swallowed and tried to move my body but I couldn't. I couldn't feel anything. Something was wrong.

"Chris?" I asked with a broken smile.

I glanced down at the ashes laying on the ground before me. I lifted a shaking palm to catch some of it that still floated in the air and was yet to fall down.

As soon as a cinder dropped to my palm, I broke.

Blood roared in my ears. I couldn't hear anything other than someone screaming. It was so...painful. The sound was enough to haunt me in my dreams. Loud enough to rattle the ground. Sway the trees. And it didn't stop.

It grew and grew until I could hear the strain of the voice. I could feel how it hurt.

But...who?

Oh, I see now. It's me.

"NO! NO! GIVE HIM BACK! GIVE HIM BACK TO ME!" I was kneeling on the ground, gathering what was left of him in my hands.

No. This isn't true.

"PLEASE! PLEASE!!" I screamed and I screamed. My throat burned, and my voice was like gravel. But I didn't care. I just screamed until it was the only thing I could here.

It's just a dream. Right?

I wailed. I hurt. Everywhere. In my heart. In my soul. My tears fell down the ashes, turning it a darker shade.

The fissures grew bigger. It turned darker. Slowly it cracked, leaving a hollow cave. A bottomless pit.

A void. So dark and deadly.

"...."

"They took him from you."

"They were about to kill your sister too."

"He's gone. And he will never come back."

"It hurts doesn't it?"

"I know how to lessen the pain. Do it."

"I can give you power. All you need to do is reach your hand, Liam."

"I am power. Take it."

"Wield it."

And so I did.

----

Thunder roared in the dark sky above us. Lightning flashed before it barreled down. I hear it strike a tree, and smelled it's burning scent from miles away. Could see everything like it's under a microscope.

Power.

I felt power coating every fiber of my being. I felt it deep within my soul. My blood.

It coated my body and gathered at my fingertips. It was warm and it wanted to be out, wanted to wreck havoc on anything in its path.

I let it fill me. I gave myself up to it willingly. But everything comes with a price.

Bones snapped into place. Wounds stitched itself back together. And just like that, I felt darkness devour my soul.