two

The surgery went well and the surgeons exhaled tiredly. They all took off their masks and washed their hands at the corner. Daera panicked and escaped out of the room, still in her surgical scrubs that was stained with blood. She rushed to the toilet and went to the sink, taking off her mask and gloves.

"How can I see him after this?" She mumbled to herself. She washed her hands and took a deep breath before walking out.

"I knew it was you," a voice said out of the blue. She flinched in surprise and saw Sunghoon leaning against the wall. She lowered her gaze and was about to walk away until he spoke again, "Running away from me is not going to solve anything."

She stopped walking and clenched her fists. He walked after her and stood in front of her, "Why did you leave without saying anything?"

"Why should I? I don't have to tell you everything, right?"

"I was worried. You left for 4 years," he muttered. She scoffed, "I was studying abroad. Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

He watched her leave him, her figure slowly disappearing from his sight.

Daera went to the rooftop and inhaled the fresh air. She let the wind push her hair back and went towards the handrail before sitting on it, letting her legs sway back and forth.

He was worried? Oh please.

"Kang Daera!" A manly voice yelled her name from behind. She turned around and saw Jay standing behind her with a worried face, "Get down from there."

"I don't know what's bothering you, but we can get through this together," he continued.

She thought for a while and scoffed, "I'm not suicidal. I'm just sitting on here."

"Can you get down from there, please?" He begged. She sighed out of annoyance and stood up but accidentally missed her steps.

Her eyes widened and she was about to fall but he immediately rushed towards her before pulling her wrist, pulling her towards him. She fell on top of him and they both groaned in pain as they fell to the floor.

"I almost died..." she muttered quietly, still shocked by what happened. He got up and dusted off his coat, frowning at her, "You could've died! Are you out of your mind?!"

"I don't–"

"Can you stop being stubborn and just listen to me for once? You could've died! What? Do you think sitting up on the railings could help you clear out your mind? Your life was at risk!"

She lowered her gaze with guilt and bit her bottom lip nervously. He sighed and helped her dust off her coat, "Look at your coat. It's all dirty now. Are you hurt?" He asked as he started to check her hands.

Her palms were scratched from landing on the floor. He held her hand and led her back inside the building, "Come. Your wound is going to get infected if we don't treat it."

She watched Jay as he carefully cleaned the wound. He was too focused on her palm that he didn't notice her staring at him. She thought for a while and asked herself, what is different about him? Is it his hair? Or maybe he's a bit fierce than before? He was always soft to me but he was a bit scary just now.

She winced in pain when he started rubbing medicine on her wound. "I'll do it slowly," he said softly. He blew on the wound and she blushed, looking away.

"You don't have to do that..."

"Just stay still," he said sternly, holding her wrist tightly. The room went silent again. It started becoming awkward so he cleared his throat, "Did you meet Sunghoon?"

"I'm his intern," she frowned. He chuckled, "Let me tell you, the person who decided the internship teams was my dad."

"And he just had to put me with Sunghoon?"

He shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe my dad felt like he's more suitable to guide you throughout the internship."

She scoffed and exhaled frustratedly. He pursed his lips, hesitant to ask her, "Did you leave Seoul because of Sunghoon during that class dinner?"

The night she planned to confess her feelings but found Sunghoon kissing another girl. She frowned and looked away, "Is it that obvious? I'm sure he doesn't know that."

She got up and was about to leave his office but he spoke, "He changed. I just want you to know that."

"I don't need to know that. It's not like I still like him," she said before leaving. He sighed and nodded slowly before sitting back at his desk.