Chapter 57

The day after the Mi Amor Ball, Mia woke up in her dorm, her head aching like never before. After blinking a few times, she glanced down, seeing that she was still wearing her navy-blue gown from the night before.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty," she heard Sage's voice. "Although if I think about it, you're more like Demona. Except instead of a dragon it's a buzzard in your case. Not like you even know what I'm talking about..."

Mia sat up slowly while running a hand through her messy locks. "What – what time is it?"

"Eleven o'clock," Sage crossed her arms. "You missed breakfast."

Mia frowned. "How did I get back here?"

"You don't remember, do you?" Sage sighed. "It's a shame, something like that never happened before, you should really try to remember if you can. I was rather shocked when I heard about it, to be completely honest."

Hugging her knees to herself tightly, Mia tried her best to remember what happened during the Ball.

***

"I swear to God, Gwynn, if you're going to be a pain, you might as well just leave!" Sage said frustratedly, struggling with styling her hair.

"I just said that I think you look better with your hair let down than in a braid. It's just my opinion, babe, am I not even allowed to voice my thoughts in this room?" Gwynn scowled.

"No one asked, though," Mia said while looking at her nails. "Some opinions are better left unsaid. For example, how would you feel if I voiced my opinion of you looking like a disco ball?" She glanced up at her. "We're going to a Ball, not a club, babe."

Gwynn's jaw dropped. "How can you be so freaking rude all the time? I swear, I have no idea why anyone would like you. Maybe James has a mental issue or something, because this makes no sense."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Mia rolled her eyes. "I'm rude, so what? It's not like you're any better."

"I – you – I –"

"Save it," Mia put one of her hands up to stop her. "I would rather not see you embarrass yourself."

Gwynn huffed. "I better not see you two during the Ball!" She exclaimed before storming out of their dorm, slamming the door after herself.

Sighing, Mia walked up to Sage. "Need a hand?"

"Yes, please," Sage nodded, feeling defeated.

Mia grabbed her hair and after fixing it a little, she continued braiding it. "Don't listen to her, this hairstyle looks great on you," she said quietly.

"Thanks," Sage smiled. "I just hope that Nathan will like it too."

"He'd be a fool not to. Besides, he already seems to like everything about you, so you shouldn't worry about such silly things."

"Right," Sage let out a little laugh. "Thank you so much for introducing him to me."

The corners of Mia's mouth turned upwards. "I'm glad you're happy."

"I'd be even happier if you were happy too. I sincerely hope that you'll have a good time with James tonight."

"Yeah, well... me too, I guess," Mia mumbled.

"Tone the excitement down a bit, will you?" Sage asked sarcastically.

"It's not that I'm not excited, I'm just... I don't know, we'll see what happens," Mia shrugged. "Here you go," she let go of her hair, looking down at the finished braid.