One Day

C H A P T E R      T H I R T Y    S E V E N

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y S E V E N

There are a million ways Ace could kill me.

He could wait until I'm sleeping and then suffocate me with the fluffiest pillow.

He could overdose me on tranquillisers and let me slip away peacefully.

He could shoot me in the head, gruesome and painful but fast.

But that wasn't Ace. He enjoyed the chase. The fight before the death. The threats and fear that roll in before he takes the lives of victims. And so did I.

"Just give up Red, I'm not letting you walk out that door alive." He was breathless, clearly in pain and completely physically destroyed.

"I could go for a few more hours."  I shrugged.

But I couldn't. I was exhausted, mentally and physically. Fighting against Aces strength was tiring me out and sooner or later, this was a battle that I was going to loose. The end of Gabriella, Willa, Red, whoever the fuck I was.

His house was completely trashed, shot up, punched through. The once perfect holiday card scene would now cause trauma to Santa and all of his elves.

Ace landed a blow to my abdomen with his foot, I flew backwards and banged myself against his fridge but it put me in the perfect position because my rifle was at my feet. I picked it up, pulled back the barrel and counted to three before standing up and coming face to face with Ace, who also had a rifle pointed at me.

Silence followed, nothing but the sound of his heavy breathing colliding with mine.

His eyes were glossy and pained, they didn't leave mine. They didn't even look at the gun, we just looked at one another.

Shoot him before he shoots you Gabriella.

My finger pressed the trigger, applying pressure. Willing myself to push it down completely and let my bullet do the work.

Shoot him! Shoot him before he shoots you!

"You know too much." He spoke and although he spoke out loud I think he was talking to himself, reminding himself of why he needed to shoot me. "Fuck!" He shouted, making me jump. "Why did you have to come here Red?"

"To kill you, you killed my whole family." I answered honestly.

He sighed and with regret he lowered his gun. "Then kill me, but first promise me you'll leave her out of this. You won't tell anyone she exists, you won't tell what is left of your family. Just leave her alone to live her life. She's not part of this world, our world."

"You love her." I pointed out. His weakness was right here at my finger tips, the perfect leverage for Nikolai too.

"With my entire fucking heart." He sighed out, regretfully. I felt the emotion in his voice, I could see it on his face.