t w e l v e

Drew poked at his sandwich with a fork, the other hand drumming on his thigh. To say he was nervous wouldn't be the correct word, but there were little butterflies in his stomach. He was about to meet one of his best, albeit irritating as all hell, internet friends. Hello butterflies, I've been expecting you.

The sandwich in front of him wasn't particularly uninteresting; he got hungry waiting for his ride, so he ordered something from one of the little restaurants while he waited. What was on it again? Pickles, lettuce, mayonnaise, some kind of meat? Drew didn't even like mayonnaise, so he wondered why on earth he'd said yes when she'd rattled off a list of toppings.

"What's taking him so long?" He muttered, checking his watch for the eighth time. Only a minute had passed since he'd checked it last, and Arrogance still had five minutes before he was "late."

The stare he'd gotten from the lady behind the counter was quite amusing to him.

He was beginning to like his scar; the whispers were mostly of wonder: how did an omega end up with such a magnificent scar? Alphas were supposed to protect their omegas from danger, so this one must be unbonded!

Damn straight, he thought with a little mental smirk.

While he waited, he checked his email. It had been a week or so since he last updated Bitter, so people were getting pretty antsy. He'd need a boat and paddle to be able to escape people's tidal waves of comments.

He opened his partially written document for Chapter Forty.

Lance held me against the wall, his hot breath washing over me. "I can't do this anymore," he whispered. I could hear the pain in his voice and desperately wanted to reach out and touch his face.

"Do what?" I asked, even though I knew exactly what.

He withdrew from me, and I instantly craved his warmth. "This! You know, Parker! This little game we're playing with each other. I can't do it anymore. Just being around you hurts!" He clutched his shirt over his heart.

This time, I did reach out, tracing my fingers over his cheek, wiping away the tears that were forming. I leaned forward, whispering in his ear, "Then don't."

I connected our lips in a sweet kiss that built in passion as I slipped my tongue past his teeth. Lance had never played the submissive role before, so it excited me to be in control this time. Lightly tugging on his hair elicited a low moan from him as I-

Drew flushed a bit, still embarrassed over his own writing, especially now that somebody that knew him was reading it, and probably judging him for it. Well, they can go suck it.

"Drew?"

Drew jumped a foot, hastily turning his phone off and shoving it in his bag. "What? I wasn't doing anything! Wait, Kai, what are you doing here?"

Kai shuffled his feet, "Oh, I'm here to pick something up; what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I'm," Drew coughed awkwardly, "waiting for someone."

"Oh, did you need a ride or something? I can give you one," Kai offered. Drew was about to say no rudely, but something in Kai's expression, like it wasn't really a choice and he was only making it seem like he had a choice to be nice, made him grudgingly accept.

"Well, my fucking ride isn't here yet, so it's his loss," Drew mumbled. "Lemme finish my sandwich and tell him I don't need a ride anymore."

He shoved the sandwich into his mouth with all the grace of an omega, dumped the rest of it on his plate, and pulled out his phone again. He punched in a few keys and put the phone away again.

Kai's phone buzzed loudly. He froze. Oh, shit.

Drew raised an eyebrow.

Sweat dripped down Kai's neck. Damn oh damn oh damn oh damn!

"Are you gonna get that?" Drew asked.

"Nah, I'll get it later," Kai said, his voice strained.

Drew stood up, dusting his hands off on his pants, "M'kay. Anyways, I'm ready, let's-" he stopped, a funny expression on his face.

"Drew? You alright?"

"Oh fuck," Drew mumbled, glancing at the remains of his plate.

"Drew?" Kai was getting concerned now. He twitched, wanting to touch Drew, but scared that he would kill him for it.

Drew started wheezing, reaching down for his bag and rifling through it. "Can't... breathe... idiot," he said weakly.

"You can't breath!? Oh my god, what do I do?"

"Can't find my... pen," he said, pushing the bag to Kai.

"Pen? Why do you need a pen? What are you writing down? Is this really the time?" Kai panicked.

"Oh my... gosh, I'm going... to die here," Drew said exasperatedly.

People were starting to notice. "Is he okay?"

"What's going on?"

"Should I call 911?"

Drew looked as pissed as one could possibly look while quite possibly dying. "Epi-pen... stupid."

"Ep- Oh!" Kai grabbed the bag and pulled an orange capped pen out and took a grand total of three seconds to read the instructions before he closed his eyes, prayed he wouldn't fuck this up, and jammed it into Drew's thigh.

Clearly, he hadn't accidentally murdered Drew as the boy's breathing returned to normal, minus a little coughing and paleness. "Well, that wasn't fun," Drew muttered, getting to his feet, ignoring Kai's offered hand.

"What?" was Kai's helpful commentary. 

"Allergic reaction, dumbass," Drew said, picking up his bag and shooting a nasty look at the people still staring at him.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Kai said as Drew started walking out the door.

"Home. Where else," he shot back.

"At least let me take you home," Kai pleaded. "It's gotta be like a forty minute walk!"

"The fresh air will do me good." And with that he was gone.

Kai groaned and slammed his head on the table.

Some alpha he turned out to be.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," he mumbled to himself.

He plugged in a few digits he knew from heart and put his phone up to his ear.

"Hello?" The voice that answered was deep and powerful and also very comforting.

"Dad?"

"Kai?"

"Yeah, it's me, listen, got a minute to talk?"

"Always! What's going on?"

"Uh, I think I've found my mate."

"Excellent, boy! What's the problem?"

"He hates me, and I kinda almost just killed him."

"Oh. This may require more than a minute."