chapter sixty eight

February 14, 1977

1:26 pm

Valentine's Day.

"One of the worst days of the year, in my opinion," Ophelia claimed. "It's so cheesy, did you see what Madam Puddifoot's looked like today? Disgusting."

"I think it's nice," Lily said.

The two girls were sitting in the great hall together, eating lunch by themselves. Alice was out in Hogsmeade with Frank, Dorcas and Marlene were on a date, and Mary was with Peter. Godric knew where the rest of the marauders were, but Lily and Ophelia were left alone. They went to Hogsmeade together for the day, but Ophelia forced Lily to come back to the castle after being there for a few hours, not being able to "bear the excessive cheesy shit."

"Of course you'd say that. You had about ten guys ask you out in the past week," Ophelia said. "And yet you rejected them all."

"You've had more than me ask you out! Besides, I don't need a boyfriend to enjoy the day."

"Then what's the point? It's Valentine's Day, you're supposed to be celebrating love and shit. It's repulsive."

"Only because you didn't celebrate it with anyone. You could've asked out Remus."

"As if," she scoffed. "We both know he doesn't fancy me back."

"You're an idiot, Ophelia Black, you really are," laughed Lily.

✩☾✩☽✩

February 15, 1977

1:47 am

Ophelia Black couldn't sleep that night, deciding to read instead of tossing and turning. She got up and scoured the girls' dormitory, but couldn't find anything interesting. She remembered a book Lily told her about earlier that day and realized the only way she could get it was if she went down to the library.

It was much past curfew, a risky venture, but she had nothing better to do, and getting detention from Filch certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. She slipped on a pair of shoes and snuck out through the portrait hole.

Remus Lupin couldn't sleep that night, deciding to watch the, albeit unfinished, marauders map instead of tossing and turning. He noticed Ophelia's name, pacing around the girls' dormitory and walking down and out of the portrait hole. Where was she going?

He watched her until she got to the library, and deciding that he had nothing better to do, got a pair of shoes and decided to meet her there. If they were to get caught by Filch, he could merely blame it on prefect duties and slip away. Although Filch seemed to be unmoving, sound asleep in his office for the past hour.

He found her in the library, searching the shelves for a book, reading the titles, trying to find a particular one.

Hearing the noise behind her, Ophelia flipped around, pointing her wand in that direction. Upon seeing Remus, she lowered it and gave him a suspicious look.

"What are you doing here, Rem? Not following me, are you?"

"I was watching the map, saw you leave, and decided to come and see what you were up to," he said.

"Well, I'm trying to find a book, but it's not here. I'll probably just go back up to the common room and read something there."

"And waste a beautiful night like this? Filch is fast asleep in his office, he's not going to be around here anytime soon."

"And what do you propose we do?"

"Dance with me," Remus suggested.

"What?" Ophelia asked, unbelievingly.