Chapter 51

Jodha ran into her room. Tears ran down her face. No sooner there, she felt a hot pain in her chest. It dug into her heart like a dagger! It began to pound wildly. She was almost breathless. The ring got warm! She gasped for air! Her breath came intermittently. The ring! Why did he torment her? Furious, she pulled him off her finger and stared at him! What was that supposed to mean? What was being played here? She quickly gathered up paper and pen and hastily began to scribble a message on the paper. She rummaged in her writing box for her seal! Where was the seal? All the same! She could deal with that later!

"Maid! Get me Moti Bai. Sure she is with Rani Champavati! Hurry up! It's urgent!"

"Moti! Finally!"

"Jodha! What's in such a hurry? Is it because of Maan Singh?" Horrified, she looked at Jodha, who was standing in front of her, pale with traces of tears on her face.

"Ji! Take this message to Abdul Khan right away! It is important!"

She snucked into the stables to Lathika. She pressed her cheek to the warm horse's neck, seeking consolation. Her tears began to flow again. Lathika kept still and let her mistress have it. She slowly calmed down.

_____________________________________________________________

"Moti was wandering around the fort. Where could she find Abdul Khan? She looked around for help. A soldier came up to her in the corridor.

"Hey you, can you tell me where to find Abdul Khan? Oh, you ..."

"The voice! Her voice!" Fadhil thought in surprise. What did she have to do with Abdul Khan? Jealousy began to gnaw in his chest! "Is that why she isn't talking to me?"

"Moti Bai!"

"Fadhil Khan! Can you take me to Abdul Khan? It's important!" She spoke to him urgently.

"What do I get for it?" He grinned insolently at her.

Moti thought of Jodha's pale, tear-streaked face!

"Stop it! I am to bring him an urgent message from Rajkumari Jodha Bai! Please bring me to him!" She said pleadingly.

Relieved that she was apparently traveling on behalf of her mistress, but concerned about her mood, he nodded.

"Come with me. I'll bring you to him." She followed Fadhil through a maze of corridors until they arrived in a simply furnished part of the fort.

Abdul Khan was surprised to see Fadhil with Moti Bai in front of his door! "Moti Bai, Fadhil! What brings you to me?"

"Pranaam Abdul Khan. I have a message to deliver from Rajkumari Jodha Bai. It is in a hurry! Fadhil Khan was so kind as to lead me to you!" She held the message out to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hail Abdul Khan,

I'm sure you know about the arrest of our nephew Maan Singh by His Majesty. He is said to have committed an assassination attempt on him. To the best of our knowledge, he was with you archery at the time of the attack. Apparently he was not believed because he was thrown in dungeon and our father and brothers were placed under arrest. Please speak to His Majesty! Maan Singh is innocent! Surely His Majesty will not have an innocent executed!

With deepest thanks
Rajkumari Jodha Bai

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Fadhil, did you know that Jalal was assassinated? I didn't notice anything." he asked horrified.

"Ji huzoor. The news is spreading like wildfire in the fort! His Majesty's anger is limitless!"