fifty two

~~~

~~~

JJ had been outside on the hammock since they had gotten back to the Château, Caroline grabbed a beer and a water bottle for him from the fridge making her way outside to where he was as she was slowly approaching him when she noticed he had already changed out of his EMT uniform and back into his regular clothes he had on earlier that day.

"hey," she softly said, he looked up sitting up, "i don't know if you wanted something to drink so i brought you beer and water so you can pick."

JJ took the water patting the empty spot next to him which she did, he wrapped his arm around her waist leaning back into the hammock looking into the ocean while Caroline kept her eyes on him.

"why are you with me?" he broke the silence not looking away.

"you know the answer to that, J." she told him.

"but why? i'm gonna end up in jail like my dad anyways and you deserve someone way better than me." he clenched his jaw as Caroline sat up turning to him, what happened today that made JJ think he was going to jail?

"you're nothing like Luke and you're not gonna end up in jail, i don't need anyone else but you and i know damn well you know that." she told him.

"you don't know that. it's in my blood, i'm gonna end up in the shit hole sooner or later!" JJ raised his voice standing up chucking the water bottle.

"you are not Luke and it is not in your blood. you're a way better man than he ever was and i'm not letting you think like that, JJ! i love you and i always will. shit i'd even break you out of jail myself," Caroline stood up her voice cracking.

hearing the way JJ was talking about himself made Caroline's heart break, he was so much more than his father. JJ was always there for his friends and did everything he could to make sure nobody got hurt or didn't get in trouble. he was the glue of the Pogues.

"and i know damn well nobody is gonna treat me as well as you do, you're the one." she sniffled quickly wiping away the tears off her cheeks.

JJ turned to Caroline his eyes softening at his girlfriend, she was right. he isn't Luke, it's not in his blood and he's the best thing that's ever happened to her- scratch that. they're the best thing that's ever happened to each other, and JJ had never loved someone as much as he loves Caroline.

JJ approached her putting his arms around her pulling her into him tightly as she clutched onto him. he shut his eyes holding her close to him, running his fingers through her short hair that she had done herself at the end of the summer. she was always there for him, no matter the circumstances or the weather and what time it was, he always went to her and he never gave up.