13. Possessive

Nandini was working on her project design after having her dinner and the doorbell rang. She frowned checking the time which showed 9:30.

She was about to open the door but then remembered Manik's words and peeped from the door hole. Seeing his face masked up and just by looking at his eyes, she realized that it was Manik and hurriedly opened the door.

He didn't look at her but made his way towards the couch in the living room while removing his hoodie. She looked at him confused but then went to get him some water.

He drank the glass of water and sat silently while she stood clueless of what to do. She gulped seeing his face features which clearly showed frustration. Not knowing what to do, she went and got him a towel, indirectly asking him to freshen up.

He shot a glare at her but took the towel from her hand and went to freshen up. He washed his face and reminded himself that he shouldn't overreact. She went into the kitchen and kept the curry to heat while preparing chapattis with the remaining dough.

By the time he came out, she served him hot and simple dinner and he ate it without uttering a word. She became restless because of silence and didn't understand what to ask or talk to him.

She cleared her throat, gathered courage and said "Aap...I understood that you are angry about something..."

"Good" He said sternly and went to wash his hands.

He took his hoodie and walked towards the door and she ran behind him and called "Suniye"

He closed his eyes for a second while she continued "I don't know if I can say this or not...but if it's something about your professional things, it will be fine soon...Don't stress..."

"And if it is personal...??" He asked to which she frowned.

He rolled his eyes and said "Whatever...Bye..."

He turned the knob to open but turned back to see her with confused face. He sighed and pecked her forehead and left.

After an hour, he simply texted 'Reached' to which she sighed in relief and continued her project design thinking to give him some time to clear his mind.

The next day, Friday

As her routine, she was working in her cubicle and went for lunch. She was scrolling through youtube and the promo of his interview caught her eyes. All the promo has been the anchor's questions and Manik's answers were muted with his film's music to create curiosity. The entire interview will be out in 2 hours and she set the reminder and started working again.

An hour later, her phone pinged with a notification 'Navyaa_ liked your post'

She frowned but thought she might have liked some old photo.

But it again pinged with a notification 'Navyaa_ commented on your post': 'Picture credits...??'

"What happened to her...!!" Nandini thought and opened her Instagram post to which Navya has commented and her eyes widened in surprise.

"What nonsense...!!When did I post this...!! This picture was from a year ago..." She thought and sat in shocked surprise. She rewound her previous day's activities.

'Where did I leave my mobile...!! It was there with me all the time...!!' She kept on thinking the possibilities until Dhruv tapped on her desk.

"Sir" She said and was about to stand but he stopped her and sat on her table.

"Nandini...Actually I came here to say something...I'm sorry..." He said slowly not looking at her.

"What happened sir...??" She asked.

"I have taken your mobile yesterday you remember...!?? Saying that my mobile got drained and I have to make a call...It was actually a dare given by friends...I mean my other team mates...I was asked to post a picture as your Whatsapp status but I thought you have less contacts on Instagram and also private account...That's why I posted our picture in your Instagram...I'm so sorry...I forgot to tell you..." Dhruv explained making Nandini furious.

She closed her eyes to control herself and just nodded at him.

"I'm sorry...This will never happen again..." Dhruv said getting down from her table.

"I will not let this happen again...Thanks for letting me know that I should doubt people around me and not myself..." Nandini said calmly, trying not to express her anger.

"Sorry again..." Dhruv said and left not wanting to face her and lose her respect towards him.

She deleted the post immediately and just when her mind was occupied with those thoughts, the reminder of his interview came up and she smiled involuntarily.

She plugged in her ear phones and went to the staircase so that she can watch his interview in peace.

She was all smiles seeing him talk about his movie and everything until the question came up.

"We have seen a few pictures of yours with a girl...around 2 weeks back...All your fans have settled with their answer that it was for some shoot...Would you like to say something...?? Was it shoot or real...??"

Manik sighed and smiled before saying "It's real..."

"What...!!!!!" She was shocked hearing him. "What has happened to him...!! The person who keeps everything private just revealed it to the public...!!! Whyyy....!!!!" She thought and resumed the video. His explanation said it all and she sighed in relief as she understood that he felt the topic was necessary for him to talk to have his required privacy.

The part where the anchor whispered for more details about the girl was neatly edited since Manik denied to answer.

"Moving on...Tell us one thing about yourself that we don't know..."

"Umm...I would say...that I'm damn possessive..." Manik's answer did something in her heart and she too smiled like the anchor in the video.

"Really...??" The anchor asked with a wide smile and Manik nodded in yes and said "Yeah...I'm...I can't share something what is mine..."

'Was he possessive...!!???' She thought and his words from last night 'What if it is personal...??' rang in her ears.

"That's a new piece of information to your fans...So...Next question...What is love to you...??" The anchor asked.

"Without expectations..." His answer.

Nandini smiled to herself and remembered herself saying 'I will not expect anything from you...be it be compliments for my cooking...'

"Fantastic...So what are the qualities that you would like to have in a girl...??" The anchor asked.

Nandini's heart thumped loudly hearing each of Manik's words. "She should be simple...All I want is her trust and nothing else...She should be my first critic...Should give me the genuine review and not because I have acted in it...She should get answers even if I can't verbalize my feelings..."

It was all about her. It was her.

She tried connecting the dots of the picture posted in Instagram, his answers in the interview and his angry mood on previous night made sense to her.

Ignore mistakes...