five

Daera frowned as she put on her surgical scrubs. She washed her hands before putting on a mask and a pair of gloves. She stared at the unconscious patient on the surgical table.

Sunghoon cleared his throat, putting his hands upwards. She arched an eyebrow, "What do you want?"

"An assistant is supposed to help me put on the gloves."

She scoffed, "Yah, I didn't even agree to be your assistant in the first place. You said that because you didn't want to argue more with the old couple."

He cleared his throat again, giving her a death stare. She rolled her eyes and put on the gloves for him. He smirked under his mask and grabbed the scissors before slowly cutting the skin apart.

She watched him from behind and waited for his next command. He looked at the monitor before ordering, "Keep an eye on the heart rate."

She nodded and glanced at the monitor continuously. He put out his hand, "Hand me the retractors."

She obeyed and gave him the tool. It was taking longer than usual because they were the only ones performing the surgery. It would usually take six people in the operating room.

The monitor started beeping aggressively and she looked at him worriedly, "The heart rate!"

He started to panic and tried to calm himself down from shaking his hands. Blood splashed to his face out of the blue and he pulled away. Her eyes widened, "Are you okay?"

The monitor let out a loud long beep and he exhaled tiredly. "Cho Dungshik, time of death, 7:47 pm," he said.

"It's not your fault, Sunghoon. He had a cardiac arrest during surgery. Are you okay?"

He ignored her and walked out of the operating room. She followed behind him worriedly. The couple who waited in front of the room approached him, "How is he?"

"Your son has passed away. He had a cardiac arrest during the surgery."

He bowed to the couple and closed his eyes, feeling guilt spreading all over him. She gulped in fear and bowed, clenching her fists nervously. The lady fell to the floor and sighed, shocked at the news. The man glared at Daera, "It's because of you! I should never trust an intern operating my son!"

He was about to hit her but Sunghoon pushed his hand, "Never hit my assistant, Mr Cho. I will not tolerate this if you result in violence."

"You both are murderers! I will bring this to court!"

Sunghoon frowned and tried to explain again, "Your son had a cardiac arrest–"

"I'll do anything you want, Mr Cho," Daera interrupted him, bowing again. Mrs Cho cried and got up before grabbing the collar to her coat, "How?! Our son is dead!"

"Please don't bring this to court. I'll pay for everything, your son's treatment and anything you want. Please, don't bring this to court," she stood up straight and her eyes formed tears, "My father has a brain tumour and he's not well right now. I don't want him to worry about me. His condition will get worse."

"So you think it's alright to kill our son?" Mr Cho scoffed. "I'll do anything you want. Just please, I beg you, don't bring this to court," she kneeled on the floor.

Sunghoon widened his eyes before gripping her arm, "Get up. Don't kneel."

She pushed his hand away and lowered her gaze. Mrs Cho chuckled and folded her arms, "Give us back our $100,000."

Daera nodded and sighed heavily, "I will pay you back."

The couple left them and her hands started trembling. Sunghoon glared at her before walking away, "Come see me in my office."

"Are you out of your mind?! It's not even our fault! Their son got a cardiac arrest during the surgery. You don't have to pay back their money!" He scolded her, walking back and forth.

She flinched when he raised his voice. "They were putting all their trust in us. We were partly responsible for the death," she explained.

"Where are you going to find the money? Do you think you're going to get your salary just like that in your first few days?"

"I'll work hard and try to find it," she argued back, feeling annoyed. He sighed, "Don't. I'll just pay for the money. You can get back to work as usual."

She scoffed and gave him a death stare, "You rich people really think you can just do anything since you have the money."

"You don't have to be worried about–"

"No. Let me tell you this. I worked hard to be where I am now. My parents don't have a big business or many hospitals like you or Edlyn's family. Or Jake's family who has a big company known worldwide. My parents own a small restaurant next to the beach. And my dad now is getting older and living with a brain tumour," her voice broke at the end of the sentence.

"I had to watch my dad faint all the time when he's working and I'm so sick of you rich people thinking that you can just pay for everything. I feel like a burden to all of you and the fact that you can just snap your fingers and money will appear is pissing me off."

He looked at her with speechless eyes, "Daera, I–"

"I will pay Mr and Mrs Cho's surgery price. I said I'm the one that will pay for it. You can stop acting like you're the one who has to pay for it. I'm the one who is at fault, I stood next to you like a useless person in the operating room."

She bowed at him before leaving his office.