Chapter 44

Dream released the rest of the citizens out into the courtyard, lining them up outside the castle for their lord's arrival. Philza and Andriel stood among the injured, forced to stand. Dream stood by a carriage ready to take his brother back home. Techno walked out with you, he had a defeated look on his face as he passed his people, he had failed to keep them from danger and now had no choice but to submit to his brother.

Families, Children and friends watch th8eir undefeated leader walk past in shame, Techno dares not look at them afraid to see their piercing stares. You could feel the pressure building up in him, you took his hand in yours. Techno looked at your face, his expression melting when his eyes connected with yours, he interlocked his fingers with yours, reveling in the feeling of your hand fitting so perfectly in his. You always eased his mind and voices, giving him the courage to look out at his citizens. 

He was surprised to see his people didn't look on in disappointment, they stared at their prince in sorrow and relief that he was okay. He smiled sadly at them, this would most likely be his last time seeing them. They waited eagerly to hear him say something, ease their worries so he did. 

"I'm sorry…Your families will be returning from the frontlines, please…live well" 

With those final words he escorted you to the carriage with him, you looked out at his people who shared confused looks. Nothing bad would happen as long as Techno left with his brother, but with the prince gone no one was there to protect them. 

"Y/N!!" A familiar child broke formation to run to you and Techno, her dragonfly wings fluttering behind her. She sobbed into your cape holding you in place. "Please don't leave us!!" She cried, cuddling into your leg. You reached out to her, trying to comfort her when a Guard began to push the two of you away. "no!!!" Philza ran up, pulling the child away before she got hurt. The both of you exchanged sad expressions before being escorted away. 

"You don't have to worry about them," Dream interrupted, as a servant pulled the carriage door open. "Fae will have normal human rights from now on…I'm a fair ruler after all"  Dream chuckled as he stepped inside. Techno helped you inside, never letting go of your hand as he sat by your side. You looked through the window as the servant closed the door. The people had gathered together, Philza and the kids in the middle with Andriel. They waved you and Techno goodbye, their faces made you choke up. You had to look away just to stop yourself from crying. 

"I have so much to show you brother, The Holy Kingdom has changed so much" Dream Joked, looking out the window as they passed the city walls. "we'll be having a little party to celebrate your return" 

Techno ignored his brothers rambling, his attention fully on you. He wanted to bring you close, embrace you and tell you everything was going to be okay but he couldn't. Dream was watching his every move, he would have to wait till the agonising trip was over. 

"anyway…I want to know all about you and your little friend" Dream turned to face the two of you, you went quiet, turning away from him. Techno sighed knowing there was nothing to gain from not telling him. 

"The Haunted Woods, They lived there for their entire life" 

"Oh right, I sent hunters after you. So you were there" 

You fiddled with your thumbs, remembering losing your home to those very hunters who mercilessly burnt down your cottage and almost you. Techno sighed, nodding in confirmation. 

"yes…indeed" His eyes glanced down at you to catch a glimpse at your expression, Dream noticed a smile forming back on his face. 

"So you're a descendant of the Dragon of Ender…I thought we killed them all when my great, great, great grandfather banished the dragon to the end realm"

You didn't look up, how could you speak to such a psychopath. He didn't like you ignoring him however, tapping his foot impatiently on the carriage floor. He leaned forward grabbing your chin to force you to look at him, Technos eyes widened and instinctively grabbed his brother's hand. Dream glanced up at the pink haired prince with obvious distaste, clenching his teeth while he spoke.

"remove…your hand" 

Techno hesitantly let go, Dream withdrew his hand rubbing his wrist from the pressure of Technos grip. You gave Technos' hand a small squeeze of thanks, leaning into him ever so slightly. His shoulders relaxed at your expression of gratitude, Dream was less than amused. 

"You two are no fun" He looked back out the window at the passing scenery. 

It took two whole days to reach The Holy Kingdom, you passed all the destinations you had previously visited with Techno on the way to his estate. It was sad to pass them without stopping to say hello to those that helped you along your journey, eventually your travels led you to pass the Haunted woods, its trees were nostalgic you could remember its smell of grass and dry leaves carried in the wind and through your hair. You always longed to go back and here it was passing you by so painfully, Techno saw just how much it hurt you to go past your old home. He leaned in whispering to you sweetly. 

"We should visit" 

"visit?" your heart leaped with joy, to visit the forest after so long. You wondered if it would still feel like home, if the trees and animals would welcome or scorn you. But you didnt care if it was different, as long as you could feel that wind and sun on your cheek.

"We're here" Dream interrupted as the forest cleared away from view, farms and travelers filled the horizon as you rode closer to the treasure of the country.

The Holy Kingdom.

It was breathtaking, giant walls surrounding the inner city, houses pure white and decorated with flora and at the peak of the Kingdom was the crown; A palace of Marble and Gold, it cast a long shadow over the city, its pure white walls caught the light of the sun, dyeing it a bright orange. The people wore white robes while going about their day, happy smiles engraved onto their faces as they waved you hello. 

"Beautiful isn't it?…I plan to make it like this everywhere" Dream waved to his people, the carriage continued on its journey to the Palace. Something about them just made you feel sick.

"It's so…unnatural" You commented, Dream turned his head to look at you, another sick smile forming on his face.

"that's the point"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words:1148