Hogwarts

I sighed as I nervously fixed my uniform, making sure that there was not a seam nor hair out of place. My shoes were perfectly polished, my wand placed into my cloak, and my trunk would be taken to the relevant dorm by a member of staff or magical enchantment. With each passing moment, I could feel my nerves growing more and more. By the time we arrived, it was nearing 7.30pm and I was starving, having only eaten a pumpkin pasty on the train ride to the school. 

I could hardly see a thing from my compartment window, but when the steam train sounded to signify we had arrived, I jumped from my seat and fled the train before anyone else could. I gasped as my body collided with an immense force, pushing me to the ground. 

A chuckle sounded from the wall I had hit, and I looked up to find a half man-half giant standing before me. 

"Oh! Sorry me' dear! I didn't see you there Miss...." He trailed away and waited for me to answer, helping me up from the floor like I was a rag doll. 

I sighed, dusting the dirt from my once perfect uniform, "Potter." And the moment I said it, I regretted it. My last name was like a curse word.

His wide-eyed expression changed the moment my eyes met his, and he nodded finally, "It's nice to met yer' Miss Potter." He held out his hand for me to shake, and I accepted it gladly due to his smaller reaction compared to most. 

An irrevocable smile emitted from me, "And you too Mr..." I waited for him to finish, and he did not keep me waiting for very long either. "Oh! Hagrid, Miss. Just Hagrid."

He began to flock all of the first years towards the docks overlooking a vast, black lake. We each began to board the small paddle boats, and I found myself joining Ginny, and the rest of the year groups travelled to the castle by a different route. 

"Are you okay?" Ginny whispered, to which I nodded and sent a small smile her way. "Never better."

Pushing the nerves to the pit of my stomach, I did something I never thought I would do, and reached out to hold her hand. A beaming grin spread across her lips as the boats began to move across the lake effortlessly. Must have been some other enchantment I was yet to learn.

Hagrid was in the front boat, by himself, his light guiding us towards an immense castle sat atop a hill. It was bigger than any castle I had ever seen in any pictures, and the warmth coming from inside lit up the entire lake; we hardly needed any lanterns to see ahead. As I looked around at all the other boats, each student wide-eyed and amazed like myself. And I found a sense of comfort in that thought of normality - of fitting in.

The castle greeted me with open arms, as though welcoming an old friend. And I stopped and thought, momentarily, that this was the closest feeling I had ever had to being welcomed home...

"My name is Professor McGonagall, head of Gryffindor house, Deputy Headmistress and Transfiguration professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We will be entering The Great Hall, shortly, where you will each be sorted into your houses. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Remember children, your house will be like your family. You can either win or lose points for your house, and the house with the most points at the end of the year will be crowned the winner." The petite, older lady who donned a witch's hat spoke simply as we waited on the steps before a grand entrance, that would lead to The Great Hall.

She smirked, her eyes scanning the crowd briefly for a moment, "If you will all follow me." And by magic, the double doors opened, and we found ourselves greeted with a room filled with students and teachers, all waiting to meet the new first years.

It felt like it took forever for us to reach the front of the hall, a table of Professors waiting for us and as I looked over them all, I found my eyes meeting an all too familiar pair. I tried not to smile, as he sent me a curt nod. And I daren't look behind me, otherwise I would have ran at the sight of such a big crowd. The room was silent, as Professor McGonagall brought forth a piece of parchment with a list of names.

"Benjamin Bones." She called, and we watched as the first student stepped out from the crowd and made their way to the front of the hall, taking a seat on a stool as the Professor placed an old hat on top of his head. It sprung to life, startling us all, and began to speak of the young boy's various traits that would decipher his house placement. Finally, the hat concluded "Ravenclaw!"

One of the tables in the room exploded in a round of applause, as his uniform changed from a plain black colour, to a baby blue; matching the Ravenclaw house colours. I could feel my nerves brewing once more, as I waited for my name to be called.

"Ginevra Weasley!" I felt a presence beside me jump at their name, and I gave Ginny's hand a tight squeeze as she made her way shyly to the front and took a seat. The hat hardly brushed against her read hair before announcing "Gryffindor!"

The table dressed in red uniform cheered for their new addition, and a wide smile spread across Ginny's face as she ran over, taking a seat beside her siblings, all of which were also in Gryffindor.

"Emerald Potter!"

I gasped at the sound of my name, as did every other student in The Great Hall. Whispers sounded out of disbelief, and I felt my legs turn to jelly as I found myself becoming an outsider, once again. Trying to contain my nerves once more, I walked towards the front as a clear path had been made.

I could feel hundreds of pair of eyes against my back, and even some teachers shared a shocked exchange. But as my eyes met Professor Snape's he gave me a small smile, and I found myself relaxing a little at his reassurance.

Taking a seat, I faced the crowds of students, and the room grew silent as the grave as the sorting hat was placed onto my head. After a moment, it came to life.

"Hmmm, I did not expect another Potter? Very different to your brother, I see. I sense great things from you, yes...Very intelligent, a little courage. But a great longing for acceptance...Hmm...Very, very difficult, indeed.....And extremely powerful, yes...I think I know where to put you..." He trailed away, and it felt as though forever and a day had passed before he came to his final conclusion...

"Gr-.....Slytherin!"

I opened my eyes, hardly noticing they had even closed as a deafening applause sounded throughout the grand hall. I looked over to the cheering table, watching as my uniform changed to green and silver.

Jumping up from my place, I walked calmly over to the table and took a seat, feeling hundreds of pairs of hands pat me on the back, excitedly.

I tried to contain myself, a small smile appearing through my lips as I looked back towards the Professor's table, finding all of their eyes on me. The Headmaster, Professor Dumbledore, sat in the very middle with an amused but intrigued look in his eyes. He smiled towards me, nonetheless, extending his goblet in cheers and taking a sip.

I smiled back briefly, before my eyes darted towards the Professor Snape. He looked shocked, to say the least. But something in his expression made me think he may have been happy. I hoped so, he seemed like a great professor. And, as one of the other students had explained to me previously, he was the head of Slytherin...