Brother

"Let the feast, begin!"

I gasped as a buffet of different foods appeared from thin air on the tables, and as the students took food, more appeared in its place. Mountains of corn on the cob, endless roast potatoes and vegetables, gravy, huge joints of beef, turkey, pork and chicken. I had never seen anything like it, and the taste was indescribable. At the orphanage, we were only ever given porridge for breakfast, and mash and liver for dinner. This was a feast for the kings.

Once dinner was finished, it magically disappeared and was replaced with desserts that you could only dream of; profiteroles the size of bowling balls, every type of cake imaginable, ice cream that never melts, sweets, pies, pastries! But I did not want to be the size of a mammoth by the time I was finished, so I made sure not to over indulge.

I had been searching the Gryffindor table the entire time, after being told by another Slytherin second-year it was the house my brother was in. It's a shame he couldn't have been a Slytherin, too. However, I could not spot anyone that could look remotely related to me, other than the Weasley's. Maybe he did miss the train after all...

"Miss Potter?" I turned to find Professor McGonagall standing beside me. I raised my eyebrows towards her expectantly, a small smile appearing through her lips as she continued, "Professor Snape has summoned you to his office-immediately."

I looked back towards the Staff table, not noticing that he had left the feast. I couldn't possibly be in trouble already. "If you'll come with me." She instructed, taking a swift step back and allowing me to stand up from my seat.  Luckily none of the other students noticed, due to being so engrossed in their meals.

The corridors were long, and we soon found our way down to the Dungeon's, where McGonagall advised me the Slytherin dormitory and Potions classes were situated.

Shouting sounded from down the hall, and I had hardly noticed that Professor Dumbledore was following closely behind us. Without knocking, we stepped inside.

Professor Snape stood at his desk, his eyes ablaze with anger as he scolded the two boys, one with red hair and the other brown. They did not notice we had even entered the room as Snape threw a newspaper article into the table in front of them.

"Were you in Slytherin and your fate rested with me, you would both be on the train home, Tonight! As it is,-" Snape began, but Dumbledore stepped forth and cut his sentence short, "-They are not." He spoke calmly.

The boys and Professor turned to face us, surprised by our sudden presence.  My breathing hitched as my eyes met those of a meadow green, identical to my own. The boy was older than me, obviously, and he wore glasses and had shaggy, brown hair. But his most notable feature was the scar on his forehead, in the shape of a lightning bolt.

"Mr Weasley, you are free to go back to your dormitory." McGonagall instructed from beside me, and I watched as the red-headed boy's eyes widened in disbelief. "You mean, you're not going to expel us!?" He exclaimed.

The Professor chuckled, "Not today, Mr Weasley. But I hope you both realise the seriousness of what you have done." And with that, she escorted the young boy from the room. All that remained was myself, Dumbledore, Snape and this stranger. 

"We had hoped that you would have both met one another by now but, things have a way of not always going to plan." Dumbledore spoke simply, as this young boy locked onto my gaze, and I found myself unable to look away. I did not know how to react. I just stood there, watching him as he watched me, the both of us sharing the same look of disbelief and shock as we stood only a few feet apart.

"Are we really related?" I spoke, barely above a whisper.

The boy nodded, and without as much as another moment wasted, he pulled me into his arms and into the tightest, warmest embrace I had ever felt in my life. I felt some sort of relief at his action, yet a slight discomfort at the same time.

Quickly realizing my arms were limp at my sides, I returned his embrace, looking over his shoulder to find Professor Snape. He seemed angered for a moment with my brother, but once my eyes met his they relaxed once more. My brother. My brother. I have a brother. A relative. And I found myself smiling at the thought, that I never had to feel alone in the world again...

The Slytherin common room was a beautiful, rich place. High ceilings, and lush silks in different shades of green and silver draped across the huge windows. Outside, there was nothing but water from the black lake we had sailed over less than a few hours prior. Every few minutes, a sea creature of some kind would swim past, which only made the lake more frightening.

Leather chairs were placed in front of a grand fire, adorned with various serpents carved from stone. A portrait of Salazar Slytherin sat upon a mantlepiece, for all the other students to worship. I had never seen anything like it.

"My father heard from the Ministry that another Potter would be joining Hogwarts this year!" A voice spoke as a matter-of-factly from behind me, and as I turned I found myself greeted with a trio of boys. One was stumpy and short, the other tall and overweight, and the leader small of frame, but tall with blonde, slicked back hair and Icy, blue eyes. He was the one that had spoken. I raised an eyebrow towards him, unimpressed, "And you are?"

He scoffed, as though insulted by my jest, "I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. And this is Crabbe and Goyle." He motioned to his side-kicks, and outstretched his hand for me to shake. I nodded, forcing a smile, "It's nice to meet you. I'm Emerald." I introduced, accepting his handshake to his slight surprise and amusement.

Nodding, he returned the smile graciously, "Yes-well, the girls' dormitories are up the stairs and to your left. Let me know if you need anything." He smirked, to which I nodded, thankful when he left so that I could be relieved of my forced smile.

Practically running to my dorm before anyone else could stop me, I found myself alone in the shared accommodation. The other girls must either be at dinner or in the common room. For once, however, I appreciated the loneliness.

Running over to my bed, I found Ash sitting there, waiting for me. She purred excitedly, as I began to pet her and sort through my things, changing into some pyjamas.

I would bathe in the morning, earlier than anybody else. My class schedule was on my bed side table; firstly I had Defence Against the Dark Arts, followed by Charms. Then we would have a short break. Afterwards, Flying lessons and lunch. After lunch, Potions with a Professor Snape.

My stomach almost flipped at the thought of seeing Professor Snape again. Thank goodness he was one of my professors! Another familiar face. I hope I am going to be good at potions, like my mother...My mother and father. I wonder what Harry knew about them both. I would need to find him tomorrow and ask him...