Home

The next few months would pass swiftly, as the end of the year dawned upon Hogwarts school. The Mandrake draught was being administered to the students that had been petrified, and everything was going back to normal at the school.

Hagrid was returned to Hogwarts, and he and myself had spent most of our days visiting Hermione in the hospital wing. I had also made sure to feed Fang in the weeks that he was gone; Harry and Ron would join me on my many trips to the Hut by the outskirts of the school.

The last day of the school year had finally arrived, and I found myself feeling solemn that my brother would be leaving me for a couple of months, and the school would be empty. I had never felt particularly close to anyone in my life, but I couldn't imagine the emptiness that would come with Harry's absence. No more Quidditch matches took place, due to the events unfolding throughout the year. But the season would resume in the new year, Dumbledore had reassured.

But Hogwarts was different. For I was accepted and liked by almost everyone-my reputation for being the heir of Slytherin was destroyed, and everyone had commended Harry and I's defeat of the Basilisk-therefore no-one would question my wishes to hang around with Gryffindor students. I was entirely free to do as I pleased.

I readied myself for the final day at school, dressing in my uniform and I had curled my auburn hair using a new spell I had learnt. And as I glanced in the mirror I reminded myself, as I had every day, to be proud for all that I had accomplished in my time at Hogwarts school, thus far. 

Making my way to The Great Hall for breakfast, I found myself joined by none other than Draco Malfoy and his group of friends. They spoke amongst themselves, as always, about their plans for the summer holidays.

"What are you doing over the summer, Em?" Draco queried, taking a bite from his toast. 

I shrugged, "I'm staying here. Dumbledore's orders." He nodded, knowing not to question the Headmaster's decision. And without as much as another word, they continued with their conversation. 

The lessons of the day resumed as normal, but my studies now differed from the other first years, for I had started my second year curriculum, which I would complete over the school holidays. The final lesson of the term: Potions with Professor Snape. My work mostly revolved around theory, whilst the rest of the students completed their final, practical exam.

"Class dismissed." Snape spoke simply as the bell tolled for the end of the day. I waited in my seat in the classroom, as most of my Potions classes had concluded throughout the term. 

"Miss Potter. How can I be of assistance?" The teacher queried, not even having to look up from his marking to know that I had lingered behind.

I smirked towards the teacher, "Have you got any plans over the summer holidays?" I questioned, to which he raised his eyebrows, unimpressed. "And why would that concern you?" 

I shrugged, "I was just wondering, that's all. Do Professors stay in the school or...?" I trailed away, to which he let out a small sigh. "No, we do have our own lives to get back to."

I smiled, tilting my head to one side inquisitively, "So, where do you live then?" His gaze met my own.

"Spinner's End in Cokeworth; lived there since I was a child."

I nodded, "Oh. That sounds nice." I complimented, causing him to scoff and shake his head. "Truly, it is not."

My lips pursed at his statement, my gaze averting to the desk in front of me, once more. "You could stay here? I might need some help in my second year Potions studies." 

He smirked, "I may come back for a week or two..." I tried to keep the smile threatening to appear through my lips at bay, as my eyes met his once more. I stood up from my seat, grabbing my backpack.