CHAPTER 37 ↠ going home

Before Bea got to the boat, she saw Jack and Alexander, both who insisted on then taking her to the docks and staying with her until she boarded

"You're leaving us too soon," Alexander says.

"You won't even miss, I promise," Bea says with a small smile.

"If you wait a few more month, I can go with you," Jack insists again. "I'm going back to London before the end of the year. That way you wouldn't have to go on the trip alone."

"I'll be fine on my own. Besides, now I know about the third-class parties."

"When I'll get to London I'll write to you in Birmingham, so we can meet."

"All right, you do that and I'll go on a trip to London. I need to see my sisters again anyway."

"And I'll write you," Alexander interjected. "You'll write me back, won't you?"

"If I don't it's because the letters got lost at sea," Bea says with a cunning smile.

"Come back one day," Alexander insists kindly. "You'll always have a place to stay here, in New York, or wherever I am."

"Thank you, Alexander. Perhaps one day I'll be back."

"Have a safe trip, Bea," Jack wishes.

"Not really up to me, is it, Jack Bradley?"

Bea hugged both of them and then went on to the cue to get on the ship.

The trip was more boring than the one on her way to New York, since she didn't have Jack to keep her company during the day. But at least, at night, she was always welcomed at the thrid-class party.

And it was also a different feeling. Going to New York she had no idea what to expect, how Michael would be, how the people would be, the streets, the crowds, everything was unknown to her. But now she knew where she was going, who she was seeing, how the people were. Even if unsure about how Finn would be to her after four months apart, she'd have her brother, and Aberama, and Polly and even Tommy Shelby.

She was now more excited than nervous, which helped with the sea sickness she had most days on the ship. As the trip came to an end, she went on the deck to see the England coast approaching in the horizon.

Bea got out of the ship in Liverpool and got on the train to Birmingham.

On the train ride, from Liverpool to Birmingham, Bea could feel more and more close to home. She felt more relieved as the train went on, and more excited and cheerful.