96. Cold Sweat

I woke up in cold sweat, my hands shaking, my heart beating erratically, and shivers running up and down my spine. I could feel their eyes on me. I could feel everything.

Unable to handle it anymore, I got out of bed, grabbed my pillow and went to the closest room. I barged in, my breath heavy, and coughs occasionally escaping my mouth.

"Nighter?" Seokjin groaned out, sleepily. I threw my pillow on the bed and rushed to hide under the covers.

"Don't let them take me," I whimpered out, clutching his shirt. "They're coming to take me. Please don't let them take me."

"Hey, no one's coming to get you. I won't let anyone take you," he consoled, holding me close. He positioned us so he let me bury my face in his collarbone. "It's okay. It was just a nightmare."

"N-no. They're coming. They're going to hurt me again. I don't want them to hurt me," I cried out into his shirt. I sniffled, furiously wiping my tears. He moved away, earning a cry of desperation from me. I clung on to him tighter, relaxing a little when I realized he was only switching a lamp on. "Mom please don't let them take me."

"Baby, I won't let anything happen to you," He whispered, kissing my cheek. He tucked the blanket around my figure. "I've got you. No one's going to hurt you anymore, I promise."

"They hurt me. They will hurt me again," I said, hiccupping. I turned away and coughed. He handed me some tissues 

"No they won't. I won't let them," he said, tightening his hold on me. I relaxed in his hold, nibbling on his skin out of impulse. "I've got you, love. I'll protect you."

He left comforting kisses on the top of my head, slowly lulling me to sleep.

^One week later^

"Well, you've almost recovered. One or two more days should work," Lana said. I rolled my eyes.

"A cold as a birthday present. What more could I ask for?" I joked.

"As if you'd accept a birthday present from anyone. When I tried to give you a bouquet of flowers as a birthday present last year, you gave it to a child from the orphanage," she reminded me. "The same day, I gave you a card, and you threw it at my face."

I chuckled. "Yes, I vividly remember that," I said and cleared my throat. "Then you wacked me in the face with a pillow."

"It was a birthday present that you couldn't return, so I'd say it was a good one," she said. "Now get out, I need to get ready for a date."

"Don't forget to prep the 'surgical field,'" I joked as I headed towards the door. I dodged the scalpel that she threw at me, and headed to Seokjin's office. I knocked on the door, playing with my fingers while I waited for his permission to enter. The door opened to reveal Namjoon, whose gaze softened as he looked down at me.

"Oh, Nighter. Do you need something?" he asked.

"Is Seokjin there?" I asked. "Is he busy?"

"Let him in," I heard Seokjin give permission. I walked in. "Hey, is everything alright?"

"Is there anything fun to do around here? I'm getting bored," I asked.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" he asked. I glanced at Namjoon, feeling uncomfortable talking in front of him. "Namjoon, can you leave us alone?"

Namjoon hummed in response and walked out, closing the door behind him. Seokjin looked away from the door and looked at me.

"I..." I trailed off, playing with my fingers.

"It's alright. You don't have to ask," he said. "Come here."

I knew he understood as I walked over to his side of the desk and sat on his lap. He helped me pull up my legs and wrapped his arms around my waist. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I don't like this," I mumbled.

"I know. But just for now, we can stay like this," he said.