1.

The trio was sitting together at the Burrow staring at their letters. The war was won, but it wasn't behind them. Hermione had been incredibly happy to get her letter. She was grateful for the chance to get back into a routine. She thought it would help her process through everything that happened. She was having nightmares almost every night and she knew others were as well. Everyone had been through a lot, and the chance to go back and finish her education was something that she held dear. 

Harry and Ron on the other hand were not quite as excited as Hermione. They had already been offered positions as Aurors, and they were both considering them. Ron did not want to be at the place that he had to relive one of the worst days of his life. He didn't have any desire to be in the castle. He wanted to start to heel, and he firmly believed rounding up the rest of the people that hurt his friends and family would help him do that. 

Harry wanted more than anything to be an Auror, it is what he had wanted to do since he discovered what it was. He thought he would be great at it, something he could excel at. But there was this desire to go back to Hogwarts. It was his home and to spend just a little more time there would be amazing. Not to mention that Ginny was going back for her final year. She was his everything at the moment. She was the person that made him feel whole again when he was having a bad day. 

"What are you going to do?" Hermione couldn't take it any longer. She needed to know what her best friends were doing. She wanted them so badly to come back to Hogwarts with her. She wanted them to be at her side like they had always been. They were a trio and she wanted desperately to keep it that way. She didn't know if she could do one more year without them. 

"Hermione, I can't," Ron looked at her with tears in his eyes. Every time he thought about Hogwarts it hurt him so much, "I can't set foot there, not right now."

Hermione was trying not to cry, she loved him so much. She loved that they had finally come together and admitted out loud their feeling to one another. She loved that he made her feel safe when the whole world seemed to be falling apart. 

"Alright," She couldn't speak another word for fear that she would start to cry. She just looked at Harry longingly. Silently wishing that he would join her. 

"I am not sure Hermione, I really think I should take this opportunity to start my Auror training. I have to talk with Ginny about it before I make my final decision."

Hermione just nodded. She couldn't dream of going back to Hogwart's without them. She knew she had to though. Voldemort had ruined her chance last year to finish her time at Hogwart's and she wasn't going to let this opportunity pass her by again. 

Harry couldn't bear to see Hermione this upset but had a pretty good idea of what Ginny was going to say. And he knew he probably wasn't going back. 

Hermione got up from the table and went into the garden and sat down. She was so excited when her letter had come this morning, but she just wasn't sure now. She had plenty of opportunities as the boys did, but she missed Hogwart's. She wanted to take her N.E.W.Ts. She wanted to show everything she had learned. She wanted so badly to do it with Ron and Harry. 

"Hermione," Ron sat down next to her and pulled her close, "Harry and I know you want us to come. We want to, we want to for you. But we can't. I can't."

Hermione just looked at Ron, the tears were flowing now. "Why not?"

"I can barely talk about Hogwart's without getting upset 'Mione, if I were to go back there I don't think I would be able to take it. I haven't gotten over Fred's death, and I just don't think I could see where he died every day."

"I am sorry Ron, I should have known that it would be hard for you. I should have figured that being there would bring memories back you didn't want to relive. We have just always conquered Hogwart's together, and to do it without you is hard to think about."