Chapter 9.4

The car was a handsome cream-coloured Cadillac. Selena sat in the front beside Sora Abe Daniel sat in his car seat in the back. Sora drive with a seemingly careless grace that Selena secretly envied, turning sharply left off the main road into Nassau, explaining that at that time of day, the traffic would be impossible in the middle of the town and so she would go through the outskirts and then drop down on to the shore road to Lyford Cay.

   "I did see you three and a half years ago when we docked at Nassau," said Selena. "But I thought then and I've since heard that you were engaged to marry Keith."

   "You did?" Sora let out a little trill of laughter. "Oh, that's priceless. Does Keith know?"

   "No. I've never told him."

   "But you should. It'll give him the biggest laugh. What ever made you think he was going to marry me?"

   "When you came down to the dock to greet him, you flung your arms around him and kissed him and said, 'Now we can get married. Now we can set the date.' Or something like that."

   "I meant, of course, now Tim and I can be married. We—I mean Tim and I—had been waiting for Keith's return. Tim wanted him as best man at the wedding." Sora glanced sideways at Selena. "But you said you'd since heard Keith and I were once engaged."

   "Yes, someone on Sanada, the island I've been visiting said she'd heard he was ice engaged to marry Sora Tanner, the heiress, but it had called fallen through."

   "Never. Not Keith and me. Tim and me. She must have got the brothers mixed up. Oh, it's all so crazy. Keith and me? Never in a hundred years. We're just not suited. And never yet have I met the woman who could get him to agree to the commitment of marriage. He's a real loner. Always had been." Sora stopped talking while she negotiated a difficult corner. Once they were in another road, going west last small houses set in gardens ablaze with bougainvillea and hibiscus, she added, "I wish he would marry, though. So does Tim. We both feel he's getting restless again. But what about you, Selena? No commitments for you either?"

   "I would like to get married," Selena found herself saying much to her own surprise. "I would like to have a child."

   "Well, maybe you and Keith ought to get together. After all, you have sailed together a lot and being together on a small yacht is a really good test for compatibility. I should know because I went cruising with Tim before we were married. We're off again on Jellyfish in a day or two, going to take Daniel for about a week, see if he likes it. That's why Keith cane bag so we could have the boat. We put a deadline out for him to meet. He might never have come back if we hadn't." Sora sighed. "He's really hard to tie down." She slanted Selena another glance. "But I guess you know that."

   "I know some things about him but not everything," murmured Selena.

   "Do you have to leave immediately, go home to England?" asked Sora.

   "No. I don't have to but I probably will... unless something happens to stop me," said Selena in a stifled voice.

   "Then we'll just have to see that something does happen, won't we?" said Sora gently. "You're welcome to stay as long as you like at the house."

*A/N: Please my patron in Patreon and read chapters in advance. My other works are also available there. Or if you just want to support me. Please look for creator Zetar086.
Love lots ♥️