Chapter 1

Naomi pulled the scratchy blanket high over her neck, flipping onto her side. She wished sleep would find her, but she was caught up in the girl conversing loudly on the bed next to hers.

"There might be some alphas coming," one girl giggled.

"Doubtful. Most don't go to group homes - only the really desperate ones. If they can choose anybody, why would it be us?" the other girl scoffed.

Footsteps from the hallway caused everyone to shuffle and pretend to be asleep, and Naomi finally closed her eyes.

She was exhausted. She was the smallest girl at the home, and all of the other girls picked on her because of it. They didn't mean anything by it, it was mostly empty threats that led to her doing their chores for them.

Naomi was nineteen and getting ready to age out. Eighteen was usually the cut off, but the director knew how helpful she was and extended her stay.

Her birthday was in a few weeks and she didn't know where she was going to go. She had no family, no place in a world among wolves.

She didn't have anybody or anything. She didn't have a single dollar to her name.

The following morning, Naomi was up with the sun. She had to do some laundry before she cleaned the bathrooms and then help the cook serve breakfast.

Her temple pounded with a headache and she moved sluggishly.

"You're still in here?" Kate, the Director, asked. "Naomi, darling, you should've been finished with this already. You need to hurry up. You still need to do the other bathroom and help the cook. I'd also like for you to wash the bed sheets today. Some of the girls have been sick."

She nodded.

"You know I don't accept nods as an answer. Do you understand what I am telling you?"

"Yes, Kate," Naomi answered, tossing the rag in the bucket and continuing to the next bathroom.

The cook, Darla, was stacking the last of the pancakes when she finally made it to the kitchen.

"Poor thing. Kate runs you ragged. Are you sick?" Darla attempted to press her warm, wrinkly hand to the back of her forehead, but Naomi moved back before she could touch her.

"I'm okay."

"That's a lie. You have a few minutes before the others get up. You need to eat."  She slid a plate to the only stool beside the massive island.

Naomi picked at the pancake, propping her face on her fist. Her eyes fluttered. She had only been awake a few hours yet her feet ached and she still had a full day's worth of work ahead of her.

---

"You're twenty-five, Alpha," the man, Joe, said. "The pack needs a Luna. Your parents would have expected you to have one by now."

"Don't talk to me about my parents," Killian snarled at his father's Beta. "I will not rush my fate."

Joe sighed, not fazed by his irritation. "We both know it has nothing to do with fate. If none of the packs have what you are looking for, maybe it's time to start looking at the humans."

There was some truth to his words. He couldn't seem to find what he was looking for, and maybe it was time to expand his horizons.

"Leave me," he demanded, settling at his desk.

Most Alphas chose their mate around 23. After the tragic death of his parents, it was only recently he felt ready to start looking.

"Hey."

Killian looked up to find Mickie at his door. He was his Beta, soon to be inducted in just a few weeks. He was his best friend, and totally opposite of him with honey blonde hair and a gleaming smile to match.

"Pups want to play capture the flag. Can you spare a few?"

Killian glanced at his pile of work, and back up at his friend. "Sure, but you're helping me with this afterwards."
--

"I don't think you're talking your role seriously," Joe said. He was sitting in Killian's chair, waiting for him to return.

Killian wiped the sweat off his brow with the end of his t-shirt, feeling anger stir in his stomach.

"You leave your work for games." Joe stood, walking to him.

Killian swallowed, feeling his shoulders tense. "My father always played capture the flag."

Joe opened his mouth, but he stopped him.

"Before you forget, Joe, I am the alpha of this pack, not you. The pack has been flourishing even with the tragedies we have faced. I would think twice before you question my authority."

Joe frowned, but nodded.

"You don't have permission to sit in that chair again." Killian stepped closer, his height towering and intimidating. "Do you understand?"

Joe pursed his lips, "Yes, Alpha. My apologies."

"I am trying to respect you, for my parent's sake. I know you are wanting what is best for the pack, but trust that I know what is best for them."

Joe glanced up, a gleam in his eyes as his hard features seemed to cool. "They would be proud of the Alpha that you have become."