Chapter 19

After a while, Grace, who returned from the carriage and drank the medicine, sat on the sofa and rested. When she recovered her strength to some extent, the emperor, who was sitting on the throne drinking and talking to the nobles, suddenly called the consul and whispered in his ear. After a while, the consul bent over to show his respect, walked straight toward Grace and said, "Duchess Felix,His Majesty asked how you were feeling."

"Oh. I'm sorry to have caused him so much concern, please tell him that I'm fine now."

"You still look pale. Will you be alright?"

"His Majesty can order the party to resume immediately, I don't mind."

"Alright. Then I'll deliver it to His Majesty."

The consul returned to the emperor's side after placing a short kiss on Grace's hand. He leaned down and gave Grace's answer to the emperor, who smiled and clapped as a signal. The conductor standing at the front of the band, waved the baton, and they began to play an exciting waltz.

Starting with the music, the royal family and nobles, who had been eating, drinking, and chatting among their close friends, gathered in pairs to the center. Standing in a row, they waited for Arthur and Grace, the stars, to come to the center and start dancing. Arthur glanced at them and reached for Grace.

"If you don't mind, may I ask you to dance, my lady?" Grace looked troubled at Arthur's hand politely reaching out. By the time Arthur's expression had hardened at her unwillingness to hold his hand, Grace held it, as if she had made a big decision.

Then, holding his hand, she came close to him and whispered in a small voice.

"... Duke. I apologize in advance."

"What? What do you mean..."

"Actually, it's my first time attending a ball. I've only learnt how to waltz in secret, and my steps will surely be a mess."

"So?"

"...be careful. I'll probably step on the Duke's foot countless times."

Shameful of confessing her poor dancing skills, Grace blushed slightly.

Arthur, who was listening to her with a stiff look, laughed and answered, clenching her hand.

"If that's the case, you don't have to worry at all."

Arthur walked to the center holding Grace's hand. Standing across from Grace, who had been left speechless, Arthur bowed politely.

It was a sign of the beginning of the 'first' dance. The band played a cheerful waltz as if they had waited, and people began to dance to the music. Grace floundered and copied the movements of the other ladies who danced skillfully beside her. She had never danced with many people before, so her feet kept getting tangled. Only then did Grace move her head down and look at the tip of her toes, as she felt ashamed of herself.

She eventually stomped on Arthur's foot, and screamed, "I'm sorry!"

"My Lady, look at me." Holding Grace's hand, Arthur moved around skillfully and whispered in her ear.

As Grace looked at Arthur, as she said, he lightly turned around and put his hand on her shoulder and said, "There's nothing to worry about. Just look at me and focus on my movements."

"......what? What if I s-step on the Duke's foot again?"

"I told you a while ago. You don't have to worry. Here we go."

"Oh my!"

When Grace hesitated to move again, Arthur gently grabbed her hand reassuringly. Then he started to move, keeping pace with her slow pace. It was like he was doing his own moves.