Chapter 4

"Sorry that you had to see that at the door." Nicholas apologized as Sherlyn followed him into his study. "That's my best friend, Ardeth Sky, we share this apartment."

Sherlyn nodded her head wondering, how a simple and decent guy like Nicholas even become friends with Ardeth.

"Would you like some drinks?"

"Water please." Sherlyn asked as he placed her bag on the table near the window with a lamp and books on it.

"Please make yourself comfortable, while I go get you some water." Nicholas said as he walked out closing the door behind him.

Sherlyn looked around the room, it was a small room in the apartment, not too small not too big, just comfortable enough for a person to study in peace and comfort. She looked at the photo frames mounted on the wall, in which an young Nicholas was smiling shyly with Ardeth Sky, who had his arm wrapped around Nicholas's neck, with a toothy grin.

"That was from our school sports competition." Nicholas informed as he walked inside the room.

"I know what you are thinking." Nicholas said as he handed the glass to Sherlyn. "Ardeth can come across as a baddie but deep down he is a good guy."

"Don't you feel uncomfortable when he brings girls inside the apartment?" Sherlyn asked.

Nicholas smiled and shook his head, even though Sherlyn had many questions in her mind, she just nodded and let the topic pass.

"Shall we start with the assignment?" Sherlyn asked and they started working.

"Thank you for the help, Nick." Sherlyn said as she walked out of the study room.

"Pleasure is mine." Nicholas said as he guided her towards the door.

Sherlyn saw Ardeth sitting in the sofa with arms sprawled and legs resting on the coffee table, watching cricket match with a chilled beer in his hand.

"I ordering food from the diner, do you want anything?" Ardeth asked Nicholas, cocking his neck.

"Cheese burgers." Nicholas answered before he walked Sherlyn to the door.

"See you at college tomorrow." Nicholas said opening the door for Sherlyn.

"Good night, Nick." Sherlyn smiled as she walked to the elevators.

Sherlyn was walking to her home, since her home was not so far from Nicholas's place, she decided to walk instead of calling a cab. Besides she wanted to explore the routes in the new city, where she is going to spend the amazing days of her life.

The weather was pleasant with occasional cool breeze that made the trees sway. She was startled by the familiar Black Porsche, that came to a screeching halt, making her jump, clutching the books to her chest.

The tinted windows rolled down revealing Ardeth, who looked at Sherlyn in amusement.

"Get in." Ardeth ordered.

"Why should I? I don't even know who you are." Sherlyn said with a frown. "You could be a kidnapper."

"You know I am not one." Ardeth said calmly.

"Still, I don't want to get into the car with you." Sherlyn protested. "I don't even know anything about you." She said and began to walk away.

"Get. inside. the car, Sherlyn Priestly." Ardeth ordered in a serious tone as he clutched the wheel in a tight grip. "You either get in by your free will or I will make it happen on my own way."

Sherlyn looked at Ardeth, who looked serious, with a threatening aura emitting from his dangerous masculine form, she looked around to find a chance to run.

"Don't even think of running." Ardeth said as if he read her thoughts.

Sherlyn had no way but to get inside the car because she know either willingly or unwillingly, he was going to get her inside his car.

"Buckle up." Ardeth ordered once Sherlyn slipped into the passenger seat.

Sherlyn didn't like Ardeth pass her orders, she wanted to shout and let him know that she doesn't like his behaviour, but she kept mum since she doesn't want to pick a fight with him.

The journey was a silent one except for the occasional honking of the cars, Sherlyn sat calmly in the seat as she discreetly grabbed the Pepper spray from her hand bag, thanking good heavens as she found it without the need of rummaging.

Ardeth turned around the corner and stopped the car under the pole across Sherlyn's home.

As soon as she saw her home, she breathed in a sigh of relief, and got down the car hurriedly.

"It is not safe to walk alone at night, especially in the down town alleys." Ardeth said making Sherlyn stop in her tracks, "And your little pepper spray won't save you." He said before he drove away.

"Hey Pumpkin, I was about to call you." Mr.Priestly said from the kitchen as Sherlyn entered inside the home.

"What are you cooking Pa." Sherlyn asked as she walked inside the kitchen tying her hair in a bun.

"Lasagna." Mr.Priestly answered as he stirred the food in the pot. "It should be done in two minutes."

"Smells delicious." Sherlyn said taking out the plates and cutlery from the cupboards.

"How's college and everything?" Mr.Priestly asked as he served the food for Sherlyn and himself.

"College is good and everything else is fine as well."

"So..." Mr. Priestly wiggled his brows.

"So?" Sherlyn frowned.

"Any boys, you found interest in?" Mr.Priestly coughed up. "Any hot guys?"

"Seriously." Sherlyn laughed.

"Come on, you can tell me we are friends right?" James asked.

"No,Pa." Sherlyn shook her head as the image of Ardeth passed in her mind momentarily. "Though I made a friend, Nicholas Roy, he is class topper, he likes books just like me."

"Sounds boring." James rolled his eyes.

"Pa!" Sherlyn chided, "He is a good guy, he is helping me with the assignment."

"Fine, Pumpkin." James said raising his hands up, "I just want you to enjoy your life instead of wasting it in library." He shrugged.

"I would like that but for now I am happy with what I have." Sherlyn said gathering the plates.

"Okay..." James sighed.