6

Dabis' POV:

It took hours until you finally fell asleep. 

He'd hoped that the nights' events would leave you exhausted enough to go to bed at a decent hour, but it was now nearly morning and you'd only shut off the TV in your room a half-hour ago. Dabi had waited until he was entirely sure that you were asleep before slipping out of the room he stayed in. 

He walked quietly through the living room and opened the window that sat in the wall facing the alley where he'd found you only inches from death. The ledge jutted out just far enough for him to duck underneath the glass and sit comfortably with his legs hanging over the side.

The chill of the night contrasted well with the heat of the scars on his skin. It was one of the many reasons why this time of year was his favorite. He lived in a constant state of uncomfortable warmth, winter offered a welcome reprieve.

After allowing himself a moment of peace, Dabi pulled his phone from his pocket and pressed the contact of the person he needed to speak with. It rang a few times, and for a moment, he suspected that there wouldn't be an answer, but then a familiar voice came from the speaker.

"Dabi. Is there a reason you're calling me at five in the morning? I hope you didn't mistake my number for one of your booty-calls."

He didn't entertain the humor in the persons' voice. "There's something I need you to do for me."

"Aw man, and here I thought you just wanted to have a friendly conversation for once." Dabi didn't respond, and the person sighed. "Fine, fine, what is it this time?"

"I'm going to be away for the weekend. While I'm gone, you need to keep an eye on someone. The girl. Make sure she doesn't pull anything reckless or go somewhere that could be dangerous."

"You want me to spend my weekend as a babysitter?" 

"You know about the job. Just keep an eye on her, but try not to make it obvious. It's best if she doesn't see you." He had a feeling that you wouldn't be too happy if you knew that he'd left someone to spy on you while he was gone. 

"Ugh. This is kind of inconvenient."

"You owe me. Or did you forget?"

There was silence, and then a long sigh. "Fine. After this, though, we're even."

"I'll send you the information that you need." Dabi hung up and placed the phone back in his pocket. 

It was odd, he thought. Whenever he'd received the message that the League required his presence, he'd thought that he would be glad for the break. He didn't necessarily enjoy spending time with the villains he worked with, but it would at least be a bit of normalcy. 

Something was keeping him from wanting to leave, though. This past week had been different than he'd expected. You were different than he'd expected. 

He wouldn't say that he liked you, exactly. You were a bit of a nuisance and your attitude grated his nerves to no end. You also seemed to take pleasure in making his job much harder than it needed to be. 

No, it wasn't that he liked you. More so, he found himself intrigued by you. He'd gone into this expecting a helpless girl who was nothing but a means to an end, someone insignificant in the long run, but in the time he'd known you, you'd managed to prove him wrong. Subconsciously, he moved his hand to the spot on his throat where you'd held him at knifepoint, not only once, but twice. Of course, you were still only a means to an end, but you were far from helpless. 

He would never say it aloud, but the memories of your blood-soaked hands and your relentless blows to the men that had attacked you both, they'd been the ones to creep into his mind and fuel the release he'd experienced after he'd left you in the living room the night before.