18

You were lying in your bed staring up at the ceiling.

To sum things up, your mom was most likely murdered.

You had no leads, no clues, nothing.

You opened up your phone and went to your father's contact. You pressed on the call button, but it automatically went to voicemail.

You found that kind of strange.

If you thought about it, you've never actually heard from him ever since your mom died.

Was he hiding all these years, hoping no one would find out he was the culprit, or is there something else you're missing?

You don't even know where he works. All you know is that he's a workaholic.

You took a peek at the clock. You immediately sat up. You were late again.

"I should get ready," you said to yourself.

At school during break time, you decided to bring this topic up to Uotani and Hanajima.

You were hesitant at first, but you learned that if you opened up to your friends about your problems, they'll be there to help you out.

So, you told them everything.

"Woah. That's really serious. It's like your life just turned into a mystery novel," said Uotani. "Are you okay though?"

"Yeah, I'm mostly okay. It's just kind of hard taking this in," you said.

"I would like you to know that I am willing to help you out in any way possible to ki- I mean, find the culprit," said Hanajima.

"Thanks, Hanajima. I appreciate it, but what were you just about to say?"

"Tohru-chan!" said Momiji with his cheery voice.

He hopped over and linked arms with hers.

"Tohru, are you okay?" he asked as he leaned in to get a closer look at her face.

You noticed that Tohru's been under the weather lately.

She just didn't have that same energy she usually had.

Maybe the possibility of her mom being murdered put her into so much shock, it totally changed her emotional state.

"I'm alright, Momiji-kun. Don't worry," she said with a forced, tired smile.

You had to get to the bottom of this unsolved mystery, not only for yourself, but for the sake of Tohru as well.

Yuki placed his hand on your shoulder.

You looked back at him and there he was, smiling at you with reassuring eyes.

His smile somewhat comforted your mind into believing everything was going to be okay.

"Hey, don't you think if you stay in your apartment, the police will find you?" asked Kyo.

You never thought about that.

"How about she stays with us?" suggested Yuki.

"What!?" said you and Kyo in unison.

Yuki looked at you two weirdly. "Why are you acting so surprised. It's not like you've never lived with us before."

"If I remember correctly, there are no rooms left. Sorry, Y/n, but you're gonna have to stay somewhere else. Maybe Ayame will take you in again," said Kyo.

The number one thing Kyo was good at was making you feel annoyed. 

"Not. Happening. Anyone but him," said Yuki with a firm voice. "She can just share a room with Tohru. It's not even your house, so why are you trying to decide whether she can stay or not?" 

"You sure? Do you think Shigure will be okay with this?" you asked.

"I mean, it's his house, but who cares what he thinks."

"Tohru, is that okay with you?" you asked.

"Yes, I'd be more than happy to share a room with you, Y/n! It'll be like having a slumber party every night," said Tohru.

"Then we'll get your belongings for you after school. Who knows if they're waiting for you at your doorstep," said Uotani.

You handed your key to her. "Thanks, Uotani."

Uotani gave a friendly, little smirk. "You don't have to say thanks. This is what friends usually do."

You had this warm feeling tingling inside of your chest. You were glad you opened up about your problems with your friends.

After school was over you walked with Yuki, Kyo, and Tohru.

When you arrived, you slid your shoes off your feet and walked into the house.

You looked around. "Where's Shigure?" you asked.

"I think he had some business at the main estate," said Yuki.

"Who cares where that dog wandered off to," said Kyo as he placed his backpack down.

You followed Tohru up the wooden stairs into her room.

"I know this used to be your room, but here it is," said Tohru as she opened the door.

You looked around. The interior didn't look so different from when you last saw it.

The curtains were the same, the wall color was the same, the view at the window wasn't looking much different. The only difference were the wooden boards nailed onto the ceiling.

"Uh, what happened over there?" you asked, pointing up at the peculiar looking area.

"That was where Kyo-kun fell through," said Tohru as she reminisced of the day she first met him. The day when all of this started.

"What the hell was he doing that made him fall through like that?"

"I believe he was trying to challenge Yuki to some sort of duel," said Tohru as she struggled to remember.

You looked around Tohru's room and spotted a frame holding a photograph of someone who looked like your mom's friend.

She had an easy going smile and was holding up a peace sign with her hand.

Her short, orange hair especially stood out.

"That's your mom, right?"

Tohru smiled upon the picture. "Yes. It's my most treasured possession."

"Do you mind telling me how she died?"

"She passed away due to a car accident."

You noticed this was the same way your mom died.

"Do you know what kind of car it was?"

"I wasn't at the accident itself, but I believe it was just a normal car."

Different vehicles, but similar deaths.

Although this small clue didn't really open any new ideas, you took note of it just in case.

There was a sudden knock on the door.

"Come in!" said Tohru.

The door clicked opened. Standing behind it was Yuki.

"Tohru, I need you to come down. Y/n, you stay right here and try not to make any loud sounds," he said with an urgent voice.

"Why? Are the police here or something?" you asked, worried they might have traced you back to this house.

He looked at you with a serious look on his face.

"Akito's here."