#10 Pursuit of Happyness

So, after people read my story "her vocation"; 8/10 told me that since this was a 'realistic' story that's why the ending made sense, because in reality good things don't happen. Even though I explained why it was actually a happy ending, I understand what they mean.

Hmm..so lets talk about Aasiya. She had everything anyone could ask for (in materialistic sense); yet she couldn't escape the emptiness haunting her.

"Navi? Do you think—there's any hope for us to be happy?"

"Why not! All you have to do is be with me for the rest of your life—I'll bring you every happiness that exists in this world—"

"You can't make me happy, Navi. If I couldn't make myself happy then even if the entire world could come to love me, it would still fall short—Because it won't be enough to erase how much I hate myself—"

At first, Aasiya expresses her greatest longing, which is to be happy. And when Navi says he can make her happy she tells him he can't make her happy. Nobody can, except herself.

The thing is, we keep wishing and wanting all sorts of things, goals etc. Thinking if we could just have this one thing, then we would finally become happy. But you see here's the secret to happiness; if you can't find reasons to be happy in your current state, then don't be surprised if you reach your 'goal' and still feel unhappy. Happiness in this dunya comes from gratitude. The idea of a perfect happiness is a mirage. So stop pursuing it.

P.S. The title is from my favourite movie. Have you watched it? I watched it as a kid and instantly fell in love with it. It's a must watch!